Modified Tru-Stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so today I had a wild hair and tried something a little different. It's very odd looking and might just win an ugly pen contest, but it is a weekend effort so here goes.

Tru-Stone from exotics, Black Knight Resin from exotics, and Alt Ivory from exotics on a Majestic Jr. Kit. I glued this all together with Medium CA and spun it together keeping the black band a bit higher than the rest while shaping the other bits. It feels good in my hand, but looks rather odd:clown:

*NOTE: I TURNED THE LOWER BARREL DOWN TODAY AND THIS IS THE RESULT*

5683701492_ece94fc1c4_z.jpg

*THE SHOTS BELOW ARE THE ONES FROM BEFORE TODAYS TURN*

5675779303_7762a608cd_z.jpg

5676341204_e7e863e44f_z.jpg

Here's the sketch I did before making the pen and the sizes used.

1_TruStone_Modification_Sketch.jpg

Okay, bash away:biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Very interesting effect. There is something oddly attractive about it. I think I like it. The color combination is good. I think it looks best with the cap posted.

I wonder if it would look better with the black on both sides of the alt ivory? I consider myself very symetrical though (OCD). Things that aren't even and balanced are hard for me to process. So, take the comment with a huge grain of salt.

Having said that, I do like it.

Last edited:

wiset1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually more fond of the cap than the body for some reason.

76winger

The thing that comes to my mind while looking at it is: The big white area needs someones logo engraved into it.

I really like the blend of colors, but the large white area seems somewhat overpowering and thus a perfect place for a logo or a carving, or something.

Brooks803

As odd as it is....the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I like the materials used for sure. I like your spacing with each segment. The only thing I could say that I'd prefer over what I see now is to have made it double closed ended with the same segementing on the lower barrel as the top. Great work and it'll lead to something special, just wait.

workinforwood

That's awesome, especially the cap. I wonder if you spun the pen itself to be smooth all the way across it might look better when assembled? There's just something about it that isn't right...might actually not even be the pen at all..maybe it's that centerband that throws it all off. I see you popped the rings off the band..maybe you should have just had the trustone flow right to the small single ring..it's really hard to say, but I'm starting to thing the band is what the problem is, breaks up your flow.

wiset1

Thanks for the feeback guys! I knew this would be a difficult turn to sell to the forum. It was an idea that looked good on paper (sketch), but kind of fell short during production.

As Jonathon brought up..."Double Closed Ended" would have looked good, but without a clip I wanted to be able to post the cap.

Jeff brought up a good point as well, that the pen might look more pleasing to the eye if the lower barrel was smoothed out instead of obvious segmenting.

For now...the idea is set and it allowed me to try something new and learn a couple new tricks. It's not pretty...not even close, but I learned from it and perhaps it will give someone else a better idea and they will run with it and make something less...odd.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll post my sketch idea so everyone can see...

Before I scrolled down to the capped pen I said to myself it looks odd. Then I scrolled and saw the capped pen and I have to say, to me it looks oddly very nice. It is WAy different but looks really good.

wiset1

I was thinking about taking the lower barrel apart and turning it flush. While the weight is nice in my hand and it feels fine, the looks really bother me. The cap is what I planned so that's what I may keep for shape and the rest will get turned down and smoothed out.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

wizard

Tim, Your creativity is what really makes you shine! The pen is beautiful..but I do think the bands distract from the overall look and profile of the pen. Bands that were flush as well on both sides of the Alternate Ivory would make them a little less distracting because of the symmetry. I think a little like Gary does..
Anyway, take those suggestions with a grain of salt. Your planning, execution, and creativity are what really make this pen stand out! Regards, Doc:)

wizard

Tim, That looks much better!!! I like it. Would it be difficult to turn down the upper barrel. I think it would really make this pen pop!!! Regards, Doc

wiset1

Tim, That looks much better!!! I like it. Would it be difficult to turn down the upper barrel. I think it would really make this pen pop!!! Regards, Doc

Taking apart one of the Majestic or Jr caps runs the risk of cracking the body. Those long black inserts are difficult to pound out so with only a week left with my tools... I only have time to finish up one last pen. I hope my last pen before heading back to the U.S. is something special.

PenPal

Tim,

I like different and in your case in this instance I await the evolved pen following your experimentation. Have fun with the shapes, materials, never settle for less than, follow your ideas where they lead.

Recently I contacted you to express my thoughts as it was the first time I personally had
found the design becoming bulky, this pen is also, you have said you like the heft of it great,
after all it belongs to you, I respect that.

Continue to explore it is stimulating, I follow constantly both your efforts and Stevens for different reasons, you both express your selves another way in another medium. Take care over there.

Kind regards Peter.

wizard

Taking apart one of the Majestic or Jr caps runs the risk of cracking the body. Those long black inserts are difficult to pound out so with only a week left with my tools... I only have time to finish up one last pen. I hope my last pen before heading back to the U.S. is something special.

Tim, Very good point! Forgot about that. I remember doing that on one....it was hell! Doc

wiset1

Hell on wheels, so before it rolls over me I think I'll stick with the cap the way it is, ha ha ha.

MartinPens

Brooks803 said:
As odd as it is....the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I like the materials used for sure. I like your spacing with each segment. The only thing I could say that I'd prefer over what I see now is to have made it double closed ended with the same segementing on the lower barrel as the top. Great work and it'll lead to something special, just wait.

I agree with Brooks - It grows on me every time I look at it.
Tim, wow - what an idea. Love the custom touches throughout the pen. When I look at it - especially the cap where the alt. ivory is raised - I see the possibilities for engraving. As a graphic designer this pen screaaaammmss laser design. A laser engraving that tied the body and cap together would take it to the next dimension. It's like a white canvas waiting for a creation.

Inspiring Tim. We don't make new discoveries until we push past the edges of what's already been done. Congrats on a very creative pen!

Regards,

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wiset1

Thanks Martin! I thought about the schrimshaw services from Kallenshaan Woods, but not really for this pen. I have a couple designs I want to do when I make it back to the states that I worked up. That's the reason I had the Alt Ivory...just never got around to doing it. Oh well...

Top Bottom