Modified Slimlines for Service Members

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
And some regular slims.

I had not turned a slimline for about 3 years. Earlier this summer, the Ohio IAP Chapter had some predrilled corian slim tubes and kits distributed for future donations to Service members. The regular slims were turned by Bob Jackson, Magicbob and I.

Since I have recently had an interest in segmenting, and modified slimlines (there should be a contest for these :mad:) were on my bucket list, I thought it was time to play.

I am keeping two of these, but the rest will be donated to our buddy in sunny Florida for "Pens for Service Members:" http://www.penturners.org/forum/f70/servicepens-2015-a-123881/ GaryMGg.

Two final comments: Please remember our Service Members, and if you have never went for the modified slimline... It is a very rewarding and easy to work with modification. (Kudos to Don Ward's book and tutorials available in our and his library).

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OLIVE WOOD

Turning pens for service members is a great thing. They truly are very appreciative. It's amazing how giving a pen makes someone feel you took the time out to make something and it's personal. Thanks for supporting the Troops.

I really like the look. Nice work.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Turning pens for service members is a great thing. They truly are very appreciative. It's amazing how giving a pen makes someone feel you took the time out to make something and it's personal. Thanks for supporting the Troops.

Thank you. I actually have been having a great time with these modified slimlines. The extra time to make them is very inconsequential, and it appeals to my interest in segmenting. So why not donate a pen with slightly more effort.

And my and my children's opportunities in life have been the result of men and women in uniform.

Really nice looking group of pens, Mark....

Thank you! I have a big box of corian for more center bands, and WAY TOO much wood, as well as 50+ more slimline kits (bought on a great sale for 100+). So there will be more of the modified's.

Cheers, Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice way to class up some slimlines! They resemble the euro/flat top/amercana which I like a lot.

I got a 100 pack of the basic Chrome slimline from Berea Hardwoods (at that number = $1.60 each). These pens cost me between $2.50-3.00; so a few extra minutes to make them a bit nicer is fine. After fooling around with the center bands for 2-3 pens, I got a nice profile down.

1. Upper blank tubed as usual.
2. Turn the upper blank barely round.
3. Use a parting tool to cut a 1/4" slice down to the brass tube.
4. Glue on a piece of corian/wood for the center band.
5. Use a 23/64" bit to drill a larger hole in the center band - I go all the way to the brass tube.
6. Turn the lower blank to profile, with the upper end able to fit into the 23/64" recess.
7. finish as usual.

I have to admit, I have used several of these pens the last 14 days, and like the size and feel of the ballpoint. The mechanism has been excellent. I bought 2 Cross refills from Staples and they are no better than the stock refills in the 100 pack. I will order some of the Private Reserve and Monteverde just to compare, but for now, I am not disappointed with the stock inks. (I would not say that for the stock Parker clones that we mostly throw away upon assembly).

As I will be turning more Service Pens, I cannot imagine NOT doing the custom center band; it really is an easy mod.

Last edited:

robutacion

Thank you. I actually have been having a great time with these modified slimlines. The extra time to make them is very inconsequential, and it appeals to my interest in segmenting. So why not donate a pen with slightly more effort.

And my and my children's opportunities in life have been the result of men and women in uniform.

Thank you! I have a big box of corian for more center bands, and WAY TOO much wood, as well as 50+ more slimline kits (bought on a great sale for 100+). So there will be more of the modified's.

Cheers, Mark

Is that right..? well, you are going to get a lot more so, be worn...!:biggrin::wink:

With retirement comes the opportunity to have all the time in the world to do what we want, and that is a good thing.

I also like what you dome with those modified slims, well done.

Cheers
George

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

Cheers, Mark

Is that right..? well, you are going to get a lot more so, be worn...!:biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

Hi Mate:

Actually, I just finished turning a Wine Bottle opener for a xmas gift for one of my sons out of an unlabeled 2" x 2" x 8" blank from you from my first box in 2014. It is getting some sanding sealer before I finish it tomorrow. It has the spikey bark edge on the end, and is not my finest turning, but it was fun and my son wanted a rustic opener (not a piece of shiny plastic - my daughter gets that :tongue:).

I have so many excellent Aussie Blanks that are begging to be turned!

Time to use them!

Cheers, Mark

Nice way to class up some slimlines! They resemble the euro/flat top/amercana which I like a lot.

I got a 100 pack of the basic Chrome slimline from Berea Hardwoods (at that number = $1.60 each). These pens cost me between $2.50-3.00; so a few extra minutes to make them a bit nicer is fine. After fooling around with the center bands for 2-3 pens, I got a nice profile down.

5. Use a 23/64" bit to drill a larger hole in the center band - I go all the way to the brass tube.
6. Turn the lower blank to profile, with the upper end able to fit into the 23/64" recess.
7. finish as usual.

I have to admit, I have used several of these pens the last 14 days, and like the size and feel of the ballpoint. The mechanism has been excellent. I bought 2 Cross refills from Staples and they are no better than the stock refills in the 100 pack. I will order some of the Private Reserve and Monteverde just to compare, but for now, I am not disappointed with the stock inks. (I would not say that for the stock Parker clones that we mostly throw away upon assembly).

As I will be turning more Service Pens, I cannot imagine NOT doing the custom center band; it really is an easy mod.

Thank you for sharing how you made them. I have a few kits that I had no intention of using but I'm going to try this on them.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

7. finish as usual.

Thank you for sharing how you made them. I have a few kits that I had no intention of using but I'm going to try this on them.

You are welcome. As I have said, I am a recent fan of modified slimlines.

Any questions, just ask!

Top Bottom