Modified Slimline Spiral Effect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I have made pepper mills and rolling pins etc with the spiral effect so this afternoon I decided to try it with a pen.
It is just a basic modified Slimline . I think this style would look better on a single barrel pen. I have some Sierra Click Top Pens in the mail which are single barrel . They are waiting for me at my US post box next time I go across the border for mail. I will try try the swirl effect on one of those to see how it looks .

I put a lacquer finish on this one .

Top view and side view of same pen

352550785.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Hi Jeff.
In that variety of blanks you sent me eons ago there was one piece of grapefruit wood . It looks like it is end grain (cross grain) instead of cut lengthwise and seemed porous and fragile . . Also very light in weight.
Many a time I have picked it up and looked at it and put it back because I was afraid I might ruin it by trying to turn it.
Well , I finally got up enough nerve today to get closer to making a pen with it.
I have put thin CA on it to stabilize it and it soaked it in like a sponge from all sides and both ends .
One of these day soon I will give it a go .

It is the one and only piece of grafefruit wood I have ever seen. Of course living up north here in Canada we are not exactly in the banana belt :biggrin:

If it turns out good enough I will post a picture of it here and of course on my own Woodworking Friends site. .

If it disintegrates on the lathe , . . then I'll be duckin' and runnin' :redface:

W.Y.

Went to town to visit with my regular 10.00 AM shift of retirees at the coffee shop for an hour as usual .
Then a trip over the border to pick up a parcel of a bunch of pen kits and high quality pen transmissions and supplies .
Part of my order was a quantity of Click Top Sierra's in both chrome and gold plating. I had made lots of Sierra twist top ones in the past but every one is sold . This was my first try with the click top style.
I headed out to my shop after lunch to try out one of those kits.
I found this to be a very easy kit to assemble and the mechanism works real smooth . I will definitely make a dozen or so more of this style in different woods as well as man made materials..
This one in chrome is finished in 6 coats of BLO/CA applied 45 seconds apart .

352672710.jpg

I also made another pen in a round top Euro style while I was out there with a very unusual wood (to me) and will post it in separate message.

Top Bottom