Modified Slimline In Amboyna Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

This used to be a slimline.

I Used a Black Titanium Slimline nib and clip on this closed top pen. Recessed the clip and added an Ebony with aluminum centerband and wrapped it in Amboyna Burl with some sapwood. CA/BLo finish. Let me know what you think, comments always welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Closed slimline 007 (600 x 326).jpg
    Closed slimline 007 (600 x 326).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Closed slimline 006 (600 x 337).jpg
    Closed slimline 006 (600 x 337).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Another winner Joe . There is no greater feeling then making YOUR OWN pen . Slimlines never looked soooo good .:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Skye

Really great looking pen. Very nice job with the clip and the dark centerband does a good job of dividing the halves and the thin aluminum (?) layer does a good job of pulling the two ends together.

Only nit would be that the right side of the blank, right where the clip enters the top half, there's a mark. It may be in the grain, but it makes it look like the wood cracked where you dug out for the clip. I've never inserted a clip like that, so it's probably a necessary evil. If that's the case, I would have done it at a darker spot in the wood to hide the damage.

But, that's a small nit for a great pen.

igran7

Really great looking pen. Very nice job with the clip and the dark centerband does a good job of dividing the halves and the thin aluminum (?) layer does a good job of pulling the two ends together.

Only nit would be that the right side of the blank, right where the clip enters the top half, there's a mark. It may be in the grain, but it makes it look like the wood cracked where you dug out for the clip. I've never inserted a clip like that, so it's probably a necessary evil. If that's the case, I would have done it at a darker spot in the wood to hide the damage.

But, that's a small nit for a great pen.

Thanks Skye,

Dang someone noticed. Its not a crack, but your right it does look like one. It is a scratch that I inadvertantly made when I made the opening for the clip. I got a little carried away with my hand saw and made the initial cut a little too wide. I had hoped it would sand out, but it was too deep and I didn't want to change the shape of the pen, so I decided to leave it. Hopefully on the next one I can avoid doing this again.

Skye

Well, if anyone is going to notice, it'll be me, so I wouldn't sweat it, lol

Still an awesome pen that makes me want to try a closed cap.

MobilMan

igran7. I noticed the line by the clip but thought it had to be that way for the wider top part of the clip to be put in. If the slit were only as wide as the clip, how would you keep it in? Glue? Doesn't sound right.

igran7

igran7. I noticed the line by the clip but thought it had to be that way for the wider top part of the clip to be put in. If the slit were only as wide as the clip, how would you keep it in? Glue? Doesn't sound right.

I cut the clip in a sort of "C" shape and manuvere in the slot. Inside the pen I have drilled a smaller diameter hole and inserted a small dowel. Once the clip is in place and wrapped around the dowel, I place a small amount of epoxy to hold the dowel and clip in place. If some epoxy escapes from the clip opening and gets on the pen, I simply wipe it off with rubbiing alcohol (the alcohol will not affect the CA finish). Once the epoxy dries the clip is permanetely attached to the pen.

VisExp

That's a beautiful looking pen Joe and some nice craftmanship.

I admire your honesty posting the second picture showing the small "ooops" at the clip :) It would have been very easy just to post one picture.

Top Bottom