Modified Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have made only one slimline in the past year before this one. I have a bunch of kits because of the cheap price. Wanting to experiment and because of my still inexperience in finishing a good pen well, I turned back to the old slimlines.

Below is a slimline turned to fit a larger diameter band. Beside the modified slimline is the 2nd pen I ever made (about 18 months ago) and before I knew what a BLO/CA finish was. I put the two pens together for comparison as to the size of the modified one.

I like slimlines because they are cheap and I like to give them away. However I want a larger center band (CB) in gold, but have not been able to find them anywhere except as part of a more expensive kit. So I made my own and built the Slimline to fit the band.The CB is made from laminates of 1.5 mm brass and 1.5 mm black plastic sheeting. I turned 10 on my Taig and they work OK.

On the bottom photo, you can see that I added a contoured band between the clip and the upper barrel. You can also see one of the bands with a single coating of CA but not finished.

59257517-74bc-0200010B-.jpg

59258739-867a-01C50200-.jpg

There is just a tad of color difference in the gold and brass. Not something you could sell but as cheap gifts to the office lady or neighbor, they look fine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

The brass band at the clip is an interesting idea. It looks like you gave yourself a way of making the <s>tubes</s> barrels a little thicker in diameter without having to taper the wood to meet back up with the various parts except the tip. As long as you don't go crazy, the clip should handle the added diameter without much issue, i bet. A handy way to make a slimline be not quite so slim. I like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom