Modified Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from geoffholden

geoffholden

This is a one piece slimline that I made for a coworker. Purpleheart with a streamline kit, CA finish.
This was my first one-piece slimline, I had a little trouble with the wood being weak down by the nib end where there's no tube glued in. I think next time I'd glue in a piece of an 8mm tube to strengthen that up.
The little stand is the off-cut from the blank, drilled with a 1/4" bit, and turned on the mandrel with a friction polish finish; it's not really stable, but it's OK for a photo or two.

Attachments

• Ashely's Pen.jpg
    Ashely's Pen.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nice pen Geoff. I have enjoyed playing with modified slimlines, and have liked the results. Good effort; I also like the blank - vibrant.

its_virgil

Adding a short section of 8mm tube inside on the nib end is an excellent improvement. There is another? Want to know what it is? I've attached an article that will tell you. I sent it to the librarian a long time ago but it has not made it there. Maybe not library worthy but you will like the other improvement.

We could see the pen better if the background was not the same color as the pen. The one piece slim is a favorite of mine. Nice going.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

This is a one piece slimline that I made for a coworker. Purpleheart with a streamline kit, CA finish.
This was my first one-piece slimline, I had a little trouble with the wood being weak down by the nib end where there's no tube glued in. I think next time I'd glue in a piece of an 8mm tube to strengthen that up.
The little stand is the off-cut from the blank, drilled with a 1/4" bit, and turned on the mandrel with a friction polish finish; it's not really stable, but it's OK for a photo or two.

Attachments

• one+piece+improvements reduced.pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

OZturner

Nice Pen Geoff,
Love the Tone of the Purple Heart.
It is difficult to distinguish the Fit and Finish, with the Dark Background, and the lack of Contrast.
Congratulations,
Brian.

chartle

When I asked about this before I was told the 8mm tube for PSI pencils fits a little better than the generic 8mm bulk tubes.

geoffholden

Newbie question here: if it's a single piece, how do you get the nib to come out to write with since you can't twist it?

The lower tube isn't glued into the blank, only the upper one is. So, you can twist the nib to make the ball point extend and retract. To change the refill you have to grip the nib and pull it out, along with the lower tube.

There's a good article in the library about it: http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/one_piece_slimline_pen.pdf, and the attachment that Don (its_virgil) posted above is also a very good resource.

Top Bottom