Modified slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I am usually a busing to bushing pen maker but I wanted to try some thing different and a little more challengeing. This is a bloodwood and flame boxelder slimline, with a pocket clip and a custom made end cap. I like the design but was hoping the end cap would blend in a little better, also I was a little sloppy on cutting the pocket for the clip. As a note this pen is very large for a slimline, about 1/2 inch longer than a americana double twist.
Please let me know what you think I am thinking of doing more with this design.

Also as usual my photography sucks, but believe it or not it is getting better:D

200563083752_SlimLineMod1.jpg

200563083826_SlimLineMod4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great looking pen. Very creative. With its extra length, will it still fit in a shirt pocket & feel confortable, not like it is trying to fall out.[?]

JimGo

Mike, I like that shape and size; very nicely done!

A suggestion for next time: leave the top blank extra long, like you were doing a closed-end pen (since, effectively, you will be). After you've shaped everything, part the barrel just above the tube, preferably using someing very thin, like an old saw blade. The smaller the "kerf" the better, since the piece you're parting off will the the finial for the top, and you want the overall shape to match up.

Hope this makes sense. Again, very nice pen!

nilsatcraft

I really think that you did an awesome job! This is one of the classiest slimlines I've seen. The shape is right on and the woods go together really well. Well done!

vick

thanks every one for the feed back.
To answer a few question Woodscavanger
"How did you recess the clip?" for the most part I followed the pocket clip tutorial that is on the home page. The only major difference was where he uses a 11/32 drill bit to create the pocket hole I used a 1/3 inch forrester, that way the hole is flatter (if that makes any sense). After drilling out the pocket I used a Dremel to create the hole that the clip comes out of.

Pastorbill
"With its extra length, will it still fit in a shirt pocket & feel confortable, not like it is trying to fall out. "

To tell you the truth I do not carry pens in my pocket so I did not even consider it. I will take a look when I get home. I would guess since the length from clip to tip is the same as the Americana double twist it should be okay.

JimGo
"A suggestion for next time: leave the top blank extra long, like you were doing a closed-end pen (since, effectively, you will be). After you've shaped everything, part the barrel just above the tube, preferably using someing very thin, like an old saw blade. The smaller the "kerf" the better, since the piece you're parting off will the the finial for the top, and you want the overall shape to match "

I appreciate the suggestion and that may be a very good idea, however I would have to change the construction method quite a bit. The end piece that you usually hold the clip in with for this does not exist. There is a small tendon that is cut in the bottom of the cap that was then glued into the tube to hold the clip and cap on. When I cut the tendon it would ruin the fit. your method would work if my hole went partially into the cap and then I used a loose tendon that I glued into both pieces, so maybe I will try it next time.

Again thatnks ereryone for your comments and critiques.

M

Mudder

Very interesting pen and I like the design "twist" you employed.
I'm always amazed by the innovative designs that I see on this forum and the crazy stuff that folks make into pens.

Great job Vick.

That one is an heirloom.

Rifleman1776

Appearance-wise, it is very intriguing and elegant. I like the looks. But, like others, I wonder about it fitting into a shirt pocket. Pockets seem to be getting shorter all the time and that is a consideration. Also, not shown well in the picture, is there clearance between clip and wood that will allow it to even be put in a pocket? I like to make Europeans, I also like to leave a lot of wood for beauty, but the Euro pretty much demands a slender upper barrel to allow clearance for cloth.

vick

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Appearance-wise, it is very intriguing and elegant. I like the looks. But, like others, I wonder about it fitting into a shirt pocket. Pockets seem to be getting shorter all the time and that is a consideration. Also, not shown well in the picture, is there clearance between clip and wood that will allow it to even be put in a pocket? I like to make Europeans, I also like to leave a lot of wood for beauty, but the Euro pretty much demands a slender upper barrel to allow clearance for cloth.
There will be sufficient room at the beggining of the clip since there is a slight cover, but you bring up another excellent point about possible clip problems. I was concerned about the clip quite a bit, I turned the wood around the clip pocket as far as I could to give the clip as much room as possible. Unfortunately it is a slim line kit and you only have a limited amount of room to work with. I considered this a trade off between form and function. The clip is still functional but it is fairly tight at the top on the pen.

Again I appreciate everyones comments, suggestions and critisism of this pen. It will all help the next model better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom