Modified Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eskimo

eskimo

First, I want to thank Bruce Boone for his technical assistance and Randy, for his insight and support.

After having a number of customers comment about the amount of metal and length of the nib assembly on the Jr. Statesman, this is my attempt at adjusting the design.

The pen in the closed position is about 1/2" longer than the standard Jr. Statesman.
2008629152953_modStateman2.jpg

I shortened the front nib assembly by just under 1/2 " and beveled the cut back in order to transition more smoothly to the short nib piece. Unfortunately, the brass from the underlying tube was exposed, but with the gold accents on the Statesman, it doesn't look too bad. I cut the piece down in early January and have been pleased to see the brass hasn't discolored in the past 4+ months.

2008629153230_modStatesman3.jpg

In the writing position, the pen still has a good weight and feel, despite the additional length.

2008629153452_modStatesman4.jpg

A closeup of the modified nib assembly.

200862915373_modStatesmannib.jpg

I have to give credit to all the talent that resides on this site that inspired me to try and take something that is and make it into something else.

Thanks, Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Looks excellent Bob, you know you are going to be overwhelmed by members wanting to know how you done it.:)

That includes me, myself and I...:D

Randy_

Nice work, Bob. You did a heck of a job!!

BTW, did you get my email with the suggestion about dealing with the "brass line?"

Here is another challenge for you, if you are interested. I have always thought there was a little too much metal at the posting end of the pen as well. You could always make a closed end pen, of course; but I do like some metal on the end. Do you think it would be possible to shorten the metal on the posting end of the barrel??

I'm sure you need something to keep you busy and out of trouble!!:D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice lookin pen.

BEWARE of shortening the "posting end". There have been pens (cigar shaped fountain and rollerball - Penn State, to name one family) that had a "nubby top" for posting. Although I liked the look and made some, I found the threads were VERY easy to "cross thread", while posting. That longer design also forces you to post the cap STRAIGHT. It acts as a guide. So, shortening it is, cosmetically an improvement (IMO) but has structural problems (also IMO)

WEPYPFI!!!

Randy_

Interesting point, Ed. Never would have occurred to me.

For me personally, though, it is not really an issue. I prefer to post the caps on my fountain pens; but only the ones that slip on and off by a friction fit. I don't care for screw-on posting and just don't post caps that have to be screwed on.....which is most if not all kit pens. That being the case, the posting hardware is just cosmetic for me and shorter would be better.

Do you recall exactly which PSI kit it is you are talking about? I don't buy much from PSI; but do keep a catalog handy for reference. I looked through it and the only kit that really satisfied my taste was the Lipstick Pen; but that won't do for other reasons. About the closest thing that meets my preference is the Streamline American by Berea.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Randy,

As you know, I am an antique. When I purchased these, they were shipped by stage coach. Unfortunately, the pic only shows it open, so you don't see the posting end. It is about one-half inch long.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBIGFP.html

This will show a pic, but search through the rollerball version, maybe it will show the pen closed.

Top Bottom