See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
deal.gif
Comments/ criticizms welcome
I have had this idea in my head for a while ,today I finalized the mental blue prints.
I had help selecting the woods via Ma bell.( thanks Lou)
My variation of a "long wood" using a parker euro stlye "kit"
All compnents of the pen are used.
Alfzila xy lay( whatever that means) and wenge
Finish is down and dirty and will be redone.
The "best work" of this pen is the design concept, a Parker long wood from a $3.00+ kit.

200561434646_longfriendship-pkpar%20007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

I had to study it for about 5 minutes before I could decide whether or not I liked it. I do, Eagle. [^] The contrasting woods are a nice choice as well. Having done several of these (and accidentally doing one 1/16" short on the lower barrel), I'm still trying to wrap my feeble mind around how you got it to work. Well done!

timdaleiden

Originally posted by cteaglesc
[Comments/ criticizms welcome

Can something be too far outside the box? I dunno; maybe it's the shape, maybe it's the combination of those particular woods, maybe I have poor taste. IMHO, you missed the mark somehow. I am sure others will see it differently.

JimGo

Interesting concept, that's for sure! I like the "out of the box" thinking. I think the shape of the upper and lower barrels is what makes it look funny to me. Again, very cool concept!

PenWorks

[xx(] The clip is to small or the top is to big, don't like the contrasting woods, the center band reminds me of my pants falling down to my ankles, other than that, it could have been a fine pen. Just one person's opinion, since you asked.

swm6500

Eagle, not sure what it is exactly, but I do not care for the pen. I think it may be that to me it just looks out of proportion, the top seems to overwhelm the bottom.

Darley

Don't like it, the clip is under size for the top barrel maybe swap the length of the barrel for the clip will improve the look of the pen ( swap length of the top barrel for the bottom barrel and vice versa )IMHO.

Tell me, this is a test?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Interestingly enough, I'm swimming against the tide here. With the exception of the clip, I think the overall shape is excellent. A longwood on steroids provides the user with enough substance for a larger hand. The upper barrel allows the strong grain of the afzelia a chance to shine while the wenge provides the visual break that emphasizes the customization and integration of the longwood style in a higher quality kit. Replacing the clip and narrowing the upper barrel to the more traditional shape is probably sufficient to strengther the presentation. Overall this is a bold step toward definition of a kit enhancement that has a lot of potential.

simplepens

I would be interested in knowing Eagle's initial thoughts after the pen was finished. In terms of craftsmanship...impeccable as usual for Eagle. Contrasting woods are nice...I think this one is off on proportions.

rtjw

I think there are good and bad sides to everything. I like the top part but not the bottom. The center band does not do well on the pen and does not help join the two.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Conceptually, it is a very interesting conversion... I reall like the idea..
However, I tend to agree that the clip and centerband just don't do it for me... I think something like a PF Clip and maybe a modified PF centerband would be a nice combination..
As for the woods, I love afzelia, but have never been turned on all that much by wenge.. just my opinion.
I also think the bottom barrel taper looks a bit blocky to me.. it does not seem to flow from the top barrel...
Again Eagle, this is just my opinion... I tend to be a somewhat conservative pen turner.. as compared to you who likes to go beyond the kit... and I applaud your efforts on this one especially...
This is what I mean in my above comments... Please do not take offense at the fact that I played with your image.. just wanted to see how it looked with my suggestions..

2005614133427_EaglePen.jpg

wpenm

It's a very interesting pen and I am wondering how you did it. The choice of woods are so so and I think overall it looks a bit out of balance. This is just another pen turners opinion.

C_Ludwigsen

Eagle, is this from an 8mm parker kit with the transmission that screws onto a piece that is press fit into the lower barrel? I'm wondering how much leeway that gives in the proportions to the lower piece.

JimGo

I like the smoother lines and the CB of Tom's redesign better (the CB ties the pieces together a bit better, IMHO), but I'm still nto crazy about the clip. I'm not sure why, though!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Please do not take offense at the fact that I played with your image.. just wanted to see how it looked with my suggestions..

2005614133427_EaglePen.jpg
Tom-
Absolutely NO OFFENSE taken at all.I do like the changes but there are some considerations.Until I get back you may want to look at the construction of a "slimline longwood"This may give you and Idea of the some of the "problems" that needed to be solved
http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKLONGPEN-web.pdf
As A matter of fact I was in the middle of reposting my changes along with a lengthy explanation and when I went to read Jimgos reply in my e-mail I clicked to see what the refrence was in Toms post and lost my post.Any it will be reposted in a miute or 30.

Doesn't work for me.

Clip looks to small. Pen looks top heavy. The two woods doesn't seem to work well with each other.

How does it feel when you write with it? Is it well balanced?

Fleabit

Overall, I like the concept, but the upper barrle seems to be a little oversized. I like the two contasting woods. Especially the grain flow on the wenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom