Modified cocobolo slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from texaswoodworker

This is a modified slimline I made the other day. It is cocobolo with african blackwood accents on a silver slimline kit. I havent had much experience modifying pens like this so there are still a few bugs to work out. The main problem is that when I turn the mechanism, the blackwood accent doesn't line up with the cocobolo and sticks out away from it in some places. Does anybody have any tips on how to fix this? Sorry about the poor quality pics. My camera would not take a decent picture and I had to use my scanner.

Thanks for looking.:biggrin:

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 291
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
that may be the problem but when I was turning the wood, It did not feel or look like it was off center. Maybe I'll try a new mandrel and see if that helps.

Thanks

paramount Pen

Nice looking pen, I like those. I've made several just like it and know the problem your having, if when you get close to the profile you want stop the lathe and turn the two peices 180 from each other and then finish turning and that does it for me.
Here is the pic of one of mine.
1_modified-slimline.jpg

Nice looking pen, I like those. I've made several just like it and know the problem your having, if when you get close to the profile you want stop the lathe and turn the two peices 180 from each other and then finish turning and that does it for me.

I'll give it a try and see if it works. Thanks for the advice.

PS. Your pen is beautiful. Is it finished with CA because I was wondering how to finish a pen like this without the CA glueing the two pieces together.

wizard

I think it's a nice looking pen! It's just of matter of honing skills and asking people on IAP when you need help as you did. Thank you for showing!
Regards, Doc

Laurenr

1_modified-slimline.jpg

What a beautiful pen! Great craftsmanship. From which company did you buy the kit, or is it a complete modification?

itzapen

Aaron,
You may want to consider turning you pens between the centers, that way you eliminate any out of roundness that you can get from useing mandrals. It is a much more truer method of turning.

paramount Pen

It is a ca finish, I sepeate it and finish them seperatly.

I'll give it a try and see if it works. Thanks for the advice.

PS. Your pen is beautiful. Is it finished with CA because I was wondering how to finish a pen like this without the CA glueing the two pieces together.

paramount Pen

Its a gun metal fun line from PSI. I think there is a tutorial on it in the library.
1_modified-slimline.jpg

What a beautiful pen! Great craftsmanship. From which company did you buy the kit, or is it a complete modification?

Aaron,
You may want to consider turning you pens between the centers, that way you eliminate any out of roundness that you can get from useing mandrals. It is a much more truer method of turning.

I've thought about trying this but haven't gotten aroung to it yet.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

Top Bottom