Modified Cherry slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from badwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

After some inspiration from others on this site, decided to try and modify a slimline. Not sure if I'm too

200546161128_cherrypost.jpg

crazy about it or not. Think I made the top a little to big. Oh well live and learn.
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

The neat thing about this kind of work is that you can tear it down and re-do it if you like. What'd you finish with?

Ligget

The fit quality is excellent, I have a lot of cherry blanks that I bought when I first started. I tend to leave them to one side now and go for other blanks with a grain pattern.
However, they are great to practice on, and if you want to dye a pen then dye a cherry blank.

dougle40

Nice try Brian . Just a suggestion , but if you made the lower barrel a little more bulbous and tapered it into the top and burned in a couple more lines in the top , it would really make the pen stand out .
I love playing with slimline pens , there's SO much that you can do with them .

badwin

Thanks for all the advice. The reason I used Cherry is because I have quite a bit of it and didn't want to try a more expensive wood on an experiment. Finished with the turners polish from lee valley.

Fleabit

Nice work. From my last blunder, I would suggest the bottom a little bigger in diameter, and the burn mark more pronounced. Overall, nice pen.

Doghouse

I like the design, It is very similar to the Euro, just would reqire the top be a little more tapered. Other than that it is a euro w/o the centerband.

Now that it and Idea, if you added a centerband of a contrasting wood, that would increast the visual impact.

I say it is a nice job of doing something different.

tipusnr

Good technique and finish. I don't care for that shape on a twist pen as customers mistake it for a push mechanism and wonder why it won't depress. I agree that making a thicker shape on the bottom would be nicer and prevent the "push" misconception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom