Modified Celtic Knot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brian Frank

Brian Frank

Well, sort of a Modified Celtic Knot. A few months ago I was playing around with inlays, Celtic Knots and serpentines blanks. I finally got around to turing this one. The inlay is Corian. Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

"Don't worry about the people in your past. There is a reason why they didn't make it to your future."

Attachments

• IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 215
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hey, I really like that !! . Nice work !! . Now, can you reproduce it ? :biggrin: . And can you tell us how to do it ? Please !!!

ladycop322

Brian, great work. Be careful with that photography work...lol I'm sure some on here will be private messaging you to tell you that you need to brush up on those skills lmbo...

I love your work btw. Keep it up :)

Brian Frank

Hey, I really like that !! . Nice work !! . Now, can you reproduce it ? :biggrin: . And can you tell us how to do it ? Please !!!

It can be reproduced. I use a sled on my bandsaw. Make it similar to a Celtic Knot but only cut half way through the blank.

One thing to remember just like a Celtic knot start with a perfectly square blank. Draw a center line down the middle of the blank on all 4 sides. Cut to the center line. Insert the inlay using CA or I use Titebond wood glue if I'm using a wood inlay. Let dry for 10 to 15 minutes. Sand smooth being careful to sand flush only the inlay. Flip the blank 90* then repeat with another cut just to the center line. Repeat on all 4 sides. I adjusted the stop block on the sled and repeated the process to make the a 2nd row of cuts.

I used to use the drill press to drill for the brass tube but have started using a Barracuda chuck. It produces a hole right in the center of the blank. If the hole is off center it will make the knot deformed and not be even all around. Hope this helps.

Brian Frank

Brian, great work. Be careful with that photography work...lol I'm sure some on here will be private messaging you to tell you that you need to brush up on those skills lmbo...

I love your work btw. Keep it up :)

My photography skills need work. It could be the lack of light or the camera I'm using. No way it could be the operator. :biggrin:

Charlie_W

Super job on the half knot! I like that it is different. The Corian was a nice choice here. It really contrasts nicely with the wood and being solid, it adds to the look.

How do you like the Glacia pens? I just did 6 and ordered more. They are a pleasant change from the Sierra style twists and have an elegant look and feel.

Brian Frank

Super job on the half knot! I like that it is different. The Corian was a nice choice here. It really contrasts nicely with the wood and being solid, it adds to the look.

How do you like the Glacia pens? I just did 6 and ordered more. They are a pleasant change from the Sierra style twists and have an elegant look and feel.

Hi Charlie, I called it a half knot because it stopped in the middle of the blank. Glad you like it. Thank You. The Glacia pen is a really nice pen. I have turned 5 counting this one and have sold 4. It fits nice in your hand. I have a few more to turn and will be buying more in the future.

Top Bottom