Modified American Double Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
This kit pen has always looked awkward to me with a cap that was and looked top-heavy, a too skinny lower barrel, and a big glob of metal for a centerband. It's only saving grace was that it was almost indestructable, and it used the Parker infill.

Everyone has told me it couldn't be modified into anything different from what it was. I was stuck with about 30 kits because there were now too many better looking pen kits on the market. I hadn't sold one of them in 5 years. Rather than throw them out, I decided to put some effort into making a different pen. The photo is the result.

I think the result is an improvement. Others may not agree. At least it looks different from the kit. It is a big pen, about the same size as an ElGrande, or a fat Cigar, and it is better balanced and noticeably lighter than the original kit.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

It's different for sure, and I think I like it. I have always thought that the lower barrel on that kit was too skinny as well, but the fittings pretty much precluded putting any curve on to fatten it up. You beat that problem handily. The Diameters are much more harmonious now, but in this photo it looks like the cap is actually longer than the barrel? It may very well be a photographic anomaly, but the next one might look more balanced with a shorter upper section and finial. Again, just my opinion, FWIW :)

Nice looking pen, and definitely an improvement over the original design, Russ. What is the wood? The two inclusions on the barrel remind me of a similar blank I used. It was holly, which I used on a slightly modified Euro kit. It had a single small inclusion, similar to yours, but a bit redder, and located just next to the finial, though down just slightly from the end of the blank. Liked it so much that I always put it way to the back of the display at craft fairs to keep from selling it, and finally just stopped putting it out for display altogether. I still have it.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks for the comments.

The wood is a hard Maple, and the coloring is in the wood.

All of that wood makes the cap look longer than it really is. It is 1/4" longer than the kit pen to allow for how I hold the cap on the mandrel for turning it with a closed end; and the cap 1/8" longer in the center to give an overlap with the lower barrel. All of the other dimemsions are dictated by the kit internal parts.

M

Mudder

Do I see this as another DVD in the works?

You were a topic of conversation at the New England chapter meeting last Sunday. Some guy was speaking very highly of you and your DVD's

(I'll PM you the address to send the check to) :wink:

Top Bottom