Modified 7mm in mysterious wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yaroslaw

yaroslaw

I want to share one of my recent pens. After buying a book by Don Ward, I was exited to turn some modified slimline using some new and challenging technics.

So this pen - "euro style", made from PSI slimline in "rose gold" (or "bright copper" as other manufacturers says), with laminated CB - thick copper and padauk. I have made few pens in similar style earlier, but making CB from one piece of contrasting material.

For me it was first time using metal in lamination, and thick copper was challenging! First time making "complex" lamination. And I really love result and colors (which do not turn exact on photo...)!

Any guess, what wood is that? I've got it as a scrap plank, and guy that gave it to me said that he got it from guys that were making some yachts.

It is very dense, with greenish and reddish hues, almost no pores, a lot of oil inside, and VERY distinct, strong smell, someone could tell "unpleasant".
I've polished it and coated in some blo/lacquer mix that I've bought in artist paint store. Non-CA finish were chosen by the nature of wood.

I want to know what wood is that to buy some for bigger pens, as this plank is only 15mm after squaring... BTW, this pen was sold next day to a friend that came to my house for a cup of tea! And I made him waiting while I am taking photos:)

Attachments

• DSC_6401.jpg
    DSC_6401.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_6406.jpg
    DSC_6406.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_6409.jpg
    DSC_6409.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_6409_2.jpg
    DSC_6409_2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

Nicely done!!

My guess on the wood is Mahogany based on color/grain structure, stated characteristics, and stated origin.

Nice looking pen.

Docholiday

Beautiful shape and design. Makes me want to go back to slims and try this. I've read enough on here for a couple years to know that Don Ward was the master of the modified slims and I think you did his methods proud.

yaroslaw

It's not mahogany, I think. I have a few crosscut mahogany blanks and they are quite different - noticable pores, no greenish and reddish hues, no smell. And smell is different then anything I have turned (I've made not more then 70 pens now, but from very different exotic wood). Also, colors are most accurate on 2nd photo, where you can clearly see "copper" hardware (and not "gold" as in other pictures).

bruce119

Nice looking pens. They got a nice flow.

The wood I would take a guess mite be Ipe I have had some and it is just as you describe. And since it came from a ship yard it makes sense I think it is common in building decks also.

its_virgil

Thanks for purchasing the book and especially for putting it to use. I had to do a lot of work to learn Ukraine 4:biggrin:.
Nice job on the pen I'm sure it won't be your last and I look forward to seeing which one or which combination of techniques you try next. Keep'em coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

azamiryou

Beautiful pen.

How dense is the wood? Ipe is extremely dense, and typically sinks in water. It's not a conclusive test, but if your wood floats, it's probably not Ipe.

yaroslaw

Haven't seen Ipe, so ipe got a chance:) Wood is very dense. Ok, as I have a suggestion, now I will check wood database:)

Exotic Wood ipe
This wood looks exactly as my plank. Thanks, I think it's Ipe.

yaroslaw

Don, thanks for the book:) Making more upper-range pens and returning to slimlines to test ideas, work with design and so on is really pleasing.

I bet my source of copper can not help anyone, as it is in Ukraine:) We have construction/flew market here, where I can buy raw copper, bronze, duralumin, aluminium(though much harder to find) in sheets, rods and blocks. Also, you can buy ebonite here really cheap (but only black one), and any crazy size of HSS drill bits for $2-$4. And HSS planks for $3, which can be grind to a skew or a scraper. This market saved me A LOT of money:)

Top Bottom