Modded Churchill - No Black Plastic Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from soligen

soligen

Inspired by MartinPens, here is my version of a Churchhill with no black plastic CB. However, I did it a bit different in that I only used Churchill kit. I also left off all the blank enameled parts.

This is Tru Stone - Yellow Dino Bone. Measures 5 9/16 capped. Plating is Gold TI

1_DSCN1195.jpg

1_DSCN1196.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

That is great! Thank you so much for the mention. It feels good to know someone got something from the tutorial. I like this version and did something similar for one of my cigar pens - but not with the metal coupler - which is a nice touch. Would love to see this done in a different color blank. Very sharp! Nice photos too. Thanks for sharing it.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wiset1

Really fantastic looking pen! Doing the closed ended style is something I JUST tried and found out how difficult it is. With that being said...great looking pen!

soligen

I like this version and did something similar for one of my cigar pens - but not with the metal coupler -

I got the kit from Exotics, and It had both the black and Gold TI Plated couplers in it. Bear Tooth Woods has the metal couplers (both in the kits and sold seperately) - which is where I think Exotics gets the kit. I'm guessing the kit I got was a "transition" kit when they changed from black to plated. I dont know if they always give both couplers.

soligen

Great looking pen. How did you go about the finial?

The finial assembles on the finial coupler just like the kit finial.

I noticed that the finial threads matched the cigar kit finial threads, and as I have left over cigar parts, I used a cigar finial for threads - just in case I screwed up I didn't loose a kit part.

I chucked a cigar lit activator tube into my collet chuck, screwed on the cigar finial, and turned it down to make a threaded insert. I then chucked up the blank and drilled a hole in end for the insert. I epoxied the insert in on the lathe to ensure good alignment - I chucked the cigar activator in my drill chuck on the tail stock, screwed on the insert and pressed it in. Let it sit on the lathe until epoxy sets. Be careful not to epoxy the new insert to the cigar activator.

Lastly re-chuck the activator to hold the finial for turning. I stopped and loosened/tightened the finial every so often while turning to be sure it didn't get too tight to remove.

MartinPens

This would look even more custom if you did a hidden clip. Can one do a hidden clip on truestone? I need to try turning some of this stuff.

Martin

soligen

This would look even more custom if you did a hidden clip. Can one do a hidden clip on truestone? I need to try turning some of this stuff.

Martin

I would think you could. I thought about it, but this is my first tru stone, so opted not to. I'm sure it would be more difficult than other materials.

As a side note, tru stone blanks are 5 1/2" long. When I first planned this pen, I thought I could do it with one blank, but I had made a mistake, so bought a second blank. The finial is from a different blank than the rest.

I think it is theoretically possible to do this with a 5 1/2" blank, but you would need to make VERY thin cuts and there would be no room for error.

If you buy 2 blanks, you can use the second for a pen that only needs a 5" blank.

Last edited:

ToddMR

That pen looks really well put together. I like how you replaced the parts with the material and did a good job on the closed end section too.

chriselle

Great looking pen. How did you go about the finial?

The finial assembles on the finial coupler just like the kit finial.

I noticed that the finial threads matched the cigar kit finial threads, and as I have left over cigar parts, I used a cigar finial for threads - just in case I screwed up I didn't loose a kit part.

I chucked a cigar lit activator tube into my collet chuck, screwed on the cigar finial, and turned it down to make a threaded insert. I then chucked up the blank and drilled a hole in end for the insert. I epoxied the insert in on the lathe to ensure good alignment - I chucked the cigar activator in my drill chuck on the tail stock, screwed on the insert and pressed it in. Let it sit on the lathe until epoxy sets. Be careful not to epoxy the new insert to the cigar activator.

Lastly re-chuck the activator to hold the finial for turning. I stopped and loosened/tightened the finial every so often while turning to be sure it didn't get too tight to remove.

Thank you for the details Dennis. The reason I asked is I am doing a pen right now similar to yours but doing the finial a little different. I'll post it if it turns out.

Nickfff

That pens look great-nice job.

Does the churchill kit have more thickness in blank material/barrel then the el grande?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I like this version and did something similar for one of my cigar pens - but not with the metal coupler -

I got the kit from Exotics, and It had both the black and Gold TI Plated couplers in it. Bear Tooth Woods has the metal couplers (both in the kits and sold seperately) - which is where I think Exotics gets the kit. I'm guessing the kit I got was a "transition" kit when they changed from black to plated. I dont know if they always give both couplers.

Good guess, Dennis!!

However we (Beartoothwoods and Exotics) BOTH get the kits from Berea. I decided to include both couplers, since Berea is providing them to me, with the kits. Yes, this will end and yes, I could make more money by selling them separately--but I chose not to.

We hope these little differences will develop customer loyalty. We'll see if it was a good strategy or not, as we see if our customers continue to return.

That is a FAN tastic looking design!!! Congratulations on the success!! Did you glue the thread piece in place? (If you don't want to answer, no problem, just wondering)

Thanks for showing!!!

MartinPens

ed4copies said:
Good guess, Dennis!!

However we (Beartoothwoods and Exotics) BOTH get the kits from Berea. I decided to include both couplers, since Berea is providing them to me, with the kits. Yes, this will end and yes, I could make more money by selling them separately--but I chose not to.

We hope these little differences will develop customer loyalty. We'll see if it was a good strategy or not, as we see if our customers continue to return.

That is a FAN tastic looking design!!! Congratulations on the success!! Did you glue the thread piece in place? (If you don't want to answer, no problem, just wondering)

Thanks for showing!!!

There are certain kits I only order from Berea because of this coupler issue. Glad to know that Beartooth and Exotics carry them as well. IMO the plastic nib coupler is a defective item. The only pens ever returned to me from customers have been Churchills - due to this plastic coupler - and El Grandes - for many poor quality part reasons.

Great job on this pen, again. If you make many of these types of pen - you will be grateful if you use the metal nib coupler.

Martin

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Did you glue the thread piece in place? (If you don't want to answer, no problem, just wondering)

Yes, I skuffed it up real good with (I think) 150 grit and glued both the part in the tube and the part where the CB rings usually are is glued to the inside of the blank.

Thanks for the reply!!! I can't see any potential problem with that. Cool.

Brooks803

I think it's awesome work Dennis! The lines are perfect.

Martin

Yup, you can. Same way as your tutorial states actually. Here's a couple I've done.

Top Bottom