Mod Panache

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wayneis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

I got to looking at these kits and one pen that I made and thought that they were a little "out there". I had just recieved some new Craft Supply blanks and here is the result.

Tobacco Marble and Carribean Swirl, the mare that I make of these the more that I like them.

2005111743823_DSCN5369%20panachetobacco.jpg

2005111743848_DSCN5375caribbeanswirlpanache.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Wow, these are awesome specimens. The blue sky looking one is bright , but I like it. They have that perimeter line, like white spalt (aka black line spalt). The problem that I have with the kit (not the workmanship) is that the CB (I guess that is what it is called) is wider on one side than the other. I guess I am just too hung up on symetry. Great job though and kudos to whomever made the blanks.
Rob

Chuck Key

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />The problem that I have with the kit (not the workmanship) is that the CB (I guess that is what it is called) is wider on one side than the other. I guess I am just too hung up on symetry.
Rob

One of the end caps is wider than the other too [:0]

Great job Wayne.

Chuckie

gerryr

Great workmanship and the blanks look really nice. It's hard to tell what they really look like from the catalog. I think I need to get some of those.

Paul Russell

CSUSA states that those blanks are 5" x 7/8". The specs for the Panache state a minimum blank size of 6" x 1" is required.

Which one is right? Or for you "glass half emptiers", which one is wrong? [:)][:)]

wayneis

First of all I want to thank everyone for the compliments, as always they are appreciated. When I firt saw this kit I was ready not to care for it, in fact for my first pen I picked out a piece of wood that I didn't think was anything special, what a suprise. First of all I ended up liking the pen and like some of the others that have made them I really think that they are comfortable to write with. My other suprise was the wood ended up looking pretty nice again remending me that you just never know what you have untill you get it turned.

In my opinion this kit is more of a modern or "out there" style (I can't think of the word that I am reaching for) but anyway I do think that we'll find a market for these, at least the people who make them may. One place that rings a bell is House of Denmark, I have a hunch that if the tubes were wraped in either teak or cherry and with either the black chrome or the platinum fittings these would sell very good. Then any place that sells the more mod, or out there goods would do well with the ones like I'm showing here or some of Ed' bright colored blanks. I'm not trying to talk anyone into making these I'm just trying to explain that I do think that there will be a market for them in the right place.

Wayne

wayneis

Paul I'd say that the 1" X 6" would be closer but in reality it is actually closer to 7/8" X 6" if you drill short and cut. I just measured the tubes and together they are about 4 15/16" so it would be pretty difficult to make one with a 5" blank. 5 1/2" to 5 3/4" is more like it. The finished pen is about 5 7/32" long.

Wayne

Originally posted by Paul Russell
<br />CSUSA states that those blanks are 5" x 7/8". The specs for the Panache state a minimum blank size of 6" x 1" is required.

Which one is right? Or for you "glass half emptiers", which one is wrong? [:)][:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wayne,

The material is gorgeous, your workmanship great!

Still no opinion on the mechanism-waiting for it to grow on me (like moss).[:)][:)]

angboy

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Beautiful job on both, Wayne, but I sure don't like this style. Maybe it will grow on me. [8D]

Sometimes things do grow on people and they get more adventuresome/open to new things when they have the right motivator! Maybe someone's openness will increase soon!

angboy

<br /> The problem that I have with the kit (not the workmanship) is that the CB (I guess that is what it is called) is wider on one side than the other. I guess I am just too hung up on symetry.

Wayne, did your kits show this problem? I don't see it in the pictures, but it really wouldn't make much sense to me why the centerband wouldn't be balanced and symmetrical. Rob, do you think you got a defective kit? Or am I missing something here?

JimGo

<br />The problem that I have with the kit (not the workmanship) is that the CB (I guess that is what it is called) is wider on one side than the other.

I hadn't noticed that Rob, thanks for pointing it out. I agree, that is a little odd.

Wayne, those are some excellent examples of the Panache! It looks like you really nailed the drilling and turning; the "grain" lines up incredibly well. Nice job on both.

wayneis

In my opinion the center band is not a problem or a mistake. It is made so that one is recessed into the other and I dought if anyone would ever have a problem because of it. The thing you need to remember is that most times a photo, especially a close up will blow up something that you would not notice in person.

Wayne

Paul Russell

Was the TOBACCO MARBLE CELLULOID blank you got from CSUSA longer than 5" then? The catalog says it is only 5" and therefore you shouldn't have been able to use it.

Paul

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />

Paul I'd say that the 1" X 6" would be closer but in reality it is actually closer to 7/8" X 6" if you drill short and cut. I just measured the tubes and together they are about 4 15/16" so it would be pretty difficult to make one with a 5" blank. 5 1/2" to 5 3/4" is more like it. The finished pen is about 5 7/32" long.

Wayne

Originally posted by Paul Russell
<br />CSUSA states that those blanks are 5" x 7/8". The specs for the Panache state a minimum blank size of 6" x 1" is required.

Dan

Wayne,

Two more stunners - just beautiful. I think the ladies will like that pen kit a lot Wayne, especially the youngers. If you put a few of those near a college for example, I don't think you'd have any trouble selling them at all.

Dan
Unionville, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom