Moby Dick!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Well, maybe not Moby Dick, but it is from a whale:)

I bought some fossilized whale bone from Exotic Blanks a while back and just got around to making one. Since my oosik bolt action sold at the last pen show, I thought I'd try one with fossilized whale bone. I decided to do it on a gun metal bolt action kit.

Wow, the bone was tough! Much harder to turn than antler or oosik. Since the piece of bone showed so much open pores, I flooded the open pores with thin CA. Let it dry for two days, then turned it. It took about 5 times longer to turn than I normally spend on a bolt action. I wet sanded it to 12000 MM, then applied Scratch Free and Hut's plastic polish (I am horrible at trying to do a CA finish:frown:). You can feel the bone and the finish doesn't look plastic.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Moby Dick.jpg
    Moby Dick.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 253

elkhorn

Thanks, Peter. I used everything! Seriously! Started out with my roughing gouge (which I use on most all my blanks). Didn't work too well even with a fresh sharpening. Then used Easy carbide tools, then switched to your skogger and rotundo. Finally was able to turn it down. Just took a very long time. Results were very good.

Top Bottom