Missouri X 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

Here's my first attempt at a segmented pen. I've done a number of trials with pine, cedar, etc. practicing over and over on the same tube but this is my first actual final pen.

Navigator Black Titanium with some Missouri wood. The lighter wood is ~300 year old white oak from SE Missouri. The darker scallops are teak from the original decking of the USS Missouri (BB63) which my father proudly served on as a Marine and the Japanese signed the papers to end WWII (though not in that order).

I debated adding a dark end to both sides but opted for only the cap side. I do need to press the top end in again - it's still a little loose as you can see in the picture. Comments & critiques?

Attachments

• MOSq1.jpg
    MOSq1.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 219
  • MOSq2.jpg
    MOSq2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Here's my first attempt at a segmented pen. I've done a number of trials with pine, cedar, etc. practicing over and over on the same tube but this is my first actual final pen.

Navigator Black Titanium with some Missouri wood. The lighter wood is ~300 year old white oak from SE Missouri. The darker scallops are teak from the original decking of the USS Missouri (BB63) which my father proudly served on as a Marine and the Japanese signed the papers to end WWII (though not in that order).

I debated adding a dark end to both sides but opted for only the cap side. I do need to press the top end in again - it's still a little loose as you can see in the picture. Comments & critiques?

:wink::wink: Well Steve, they say "practice makes perfect" I don't think you will need to practice any more !! Good craftsmanship. Jim S

StephenM

Thanks everyone!

If you're looking to going segments, scallops, etc. the biggest turn around for me was the Porter Cable disk/belt sander combo. Just be sure to set the miter gauge with a good triangle/square and get it dead on. It made all the difference in the world.

The belt is good for quickly removing material and the disc is perfect for getting wood exactly where it needs to be. Just don't try and use the belt for sanding 45s, too much give so it won't stay consistent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom