Missed it by THAT MUCH... OUCH -Edited 2-21 6:30PM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Decided to try a modified Perfect Fit Convertable in some of the Curly Koa I have...
Instead of the normal gold center band, I wanted to put 2 rings of pink coral... thought the coral would make a nice compliment to the koa...
Measured everything 3-4 times, set it all up.. did my cuts, measured the top barrel again a couple of times and decided to leave it at the measurements I had.... cut the grooves for the coral and set it in place... used my home made carbide tool to trim the coral (it worked like a dream). Finished with cellulose sanding sealer and 4 coats of CA sanded to 12000 MM and then polished with Hut Plastic Polish...
Took it off the mandrel and the wood below the first ring came off in my hand... I wanted to cry...
Seems that the only thing I did not measure for was the placement of the first ring... it was too close to the increased inside diameter of the upper barrel and therefore the barrel extension did not have enough support... Tried to fix it but screwed it up even worse... LOL
WELL.. at least I now know where I went wrong.. the next one will have just one ring a little wider... it should still look good...
Here is a pic of what is left... will keep it on my desk and use it to stab myself every now and then.... it was a really nice piece of koa.... :(:(:(:(:(

2005221191656_KoaCoral.jpg

200522123223_KoaCoral2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

That's to bad because it sure is a nice looking pen. Well at least ya know how to do it now and I'm sure the next one will be fine.

Gary

Ouch! You certainly had bad luck on that one. But, the coral/koa is a good enough idea that I think I would try it again.

Randy_

Originally posted by KKingery<br />Looks like it would have been a fine looking pen....that's a shame.

Maybe my eye is not quite so discriminating as others; but I think it is a terrific looking pen as is. Maybe it is a little less pleasing in person.....I can't see the details of the problem area well enough to really figure out what the problem is?? Tom, could you take a close-up of the coral rings to help these tired eyes get a better look/see?? Thanks.

Darley

Old Griz I don't want you to hurt yourself so I will take this pen out of your hands as nobody will belive me if I have to call 911 from Australia [:D]

BTW beautifull pen.

Serge

Randy_

Thanks for the close-up. Now I see what the problem is. What a shame.....that is such a pretty pen. I bet there is a way to "save" it and after it sits on your bench for a week or two, I'll bet a little light flickers and you find a solution. In the meantime that's the nicest reject that I've ever seen!!!

jdavis

Sorry for the problem. I experience that kind of problem everyday with me students. Students today (for the most part) can not read a rule or scale. What a shame. WQhen they leave my class, they can read one though.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Jack, that is why I was to ticked off at screwing this one up... I used to be a Quality Control Supervisor... reading precision measuring tools is in my blood... LOL
So when I screw up something like this by not thinking about where the overhang ended inside the upper barrel, or plain not thinking about it, it really gets to me..
I agree, though, that the average person today has no real idea of what reading a scale means.. I occassionally sub teach at the local VOTECH, you would be surprised at how many of the students can not measure without digital micrometers and calipers or do simple math without a calculator... it is scary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom