Missed it by that = much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Curly

Curly

These are a few pictures of my first kitless pen. It was also my first closed end pen. Unfortunately I lost my grip while buffing the cap and it hit the floor and cracked. :eek: I don't have another piece of that blank material so a replacement will have to wait. The learning experience was invaluable and I have much more to learn. :wink:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

6.4mm tap for the rollerball/fountain pen nib, 3/8 UNF for the section and 14mm triple start for the pen and cap. It weighs 22.7 grams without ink in the piston converter.

All comments welcome.

Attachments

• P9240003.jpg
    P9240003.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 744
  • P9240006.jpg
    P9240006.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 743
  • P9240009.jpg
    P9240009.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 767
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Great looking pen for a first time. What blank is it maybe one of us has a piece that we help you with. Or is that a Marla creation blank? :)

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Awesome job Pete, even if it did get a booboo. I think you are well on your way. Like you,every time I screw one up I learn a heck of a lot.

Curly

Thanks for the complements guys. Hopefully I will just learn and not learn by screwing up. :rolleyes:

So far Marla has stayed with clear casting.

The blank came from a local woodworking, metalworking, automotive stuff tool chain. :rolleyes: Marla bought it a while back and it was labled purple with red stripe, or something to that effect. If they don't have any more in the three stores local to me I'll try to find something close or perhaps totally different to replace the cap with. Maybe a black or a white cap. What do you think? :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great start Pete. I would definitly go with black as a replacement cap. WOuld you be able to cut the affect area off the cap and salvage it with a small piece of black or is it to far gone?

jaeger

Great start Pete. I would definitly go with black as a replacement cap. WOuld you be able to cut the affect area off the cap and salvage it with a small piece of black or is it to far gone?

I agree with Mike. If segmenting will not work than I would use an alternate, solid color since you will never match the colors in the original blank if you can't find your original source.
Congratulations on 2 big accomplishments with your craftsmanship.

Doug

Curly

Again thanks for the complements and suggestions.

No Canadian Tire doesn't sell pen blanks. :rolleyes: I was referring to KMS Tools. http://www.kmstools.com

The crack, the start of which is just visible directly above the pea pod on top of the top picture, runs halfway around the cap and along the pen for 3/4". I ruled out a segment because it would be too big and because of the difficulty in lining the pieces for glueing and remounting it to turn. I might go with black to match the section instead.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A nice save might be to cut a piece off the end of the cracked cap and insert it into the end of the new black cap. A little blue piece in the top fo the black one. If you go to that much trouble.

Curly

Following up.

I found some more blanks and made a crack free cap last Sunday. I like the way it feels in my hand and the rollerball writes beautifully. My first kitless is now done. :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PA310015.jpg
    PA310015.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 189
  • PA310016.jpg
    PA310016.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 223
  • PA310018.jpg
    PA310018.jpg