This Mini will really PULL you in!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

These are the pens I made for my partner John (leaycraft) for the July pen swap. Being in the month of July I went with a USA theme :usflag:

First up is a Full sized Gent RB in Rhodium. I used a vintage USA blank that I made and reverse painted it black.

DSC03183 (577x700).jpg DSC03188 (553x700).jpg DSC03190 (552x700).jpg DSC03192 (558x700).jpg

Now this is where I got a bit sneaky :angel::devil::glasses-cool:. In doing a bit of research on my partner (likes, dislikes, etc.) I noticed his birthday is July 28th. So that with the fact that it's his first pen swap I thought I'd give him a nice surprise.

This is something I've had in my head for some time and I wanted to try and pull it off. It's a Custom Mini FP that's magnetic instead of the usual threaded cap. I used an acrylic called Rio Grande (from exotics...yippie freebies!). It's very transparent so I had take care while drilling not to scratch up the inside. I got lucky and all went well with that. Now it's very hard to find magnets in the sizes needed for this so I ended up putting the magnets in both ends of the body and I turned a steel ring that's in the cap. It does hold very well.

DSC03201 (643x700).jpg DSC03203 (608x700).jpg DSC03207 (700x466).jpg

I spoke with John earlier today on the phone and he loves both pens! I think the FP is going to become his new daily carry for work. Enjoy John!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Johnathon,

Fantastic solutions magnificent giving, incredible finish and photographs.

Took a deep breath when you said for my partner how are you three travelling? kind regards Peter and Wilma.

leaycraft

Amazing is an understatement. The mini FP is in the briefcase and is being used. I posted in July PITH some comments. Im still awed by the blanks and workmanship.
I saw a term earlier- shop pen. Compared to what I received - I think Jon got a shop pen.
But I now have real quality to shoot for will my next efforts.

ttpenman

I really want to try casting (I've got all the equipment) but every time I see the incredible creations you and some of the others on the forum make, it depresses me. I can't even wrap my head around how you make such beautiful blanks and I know anything I make will never look like the ones I see here. Part of the problem is that I've never been a 'trial and error' person. I want things to come out perfect the first time -- and they never do. Then I get frustrated. Maybe one of these days when (IF) i ever get to retire.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Sandy H.

I like the magnet idea for sure, but your first pen in the post is simply stunning. I would love to understand what is involved in making a blank like that. None of mine have turned out 10% as cool as that.

Sandy.

Brooks803

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Johnathon,

Fantastic solutions magnificent giving, incredible finish and photographs.

Took a deep breath when you said for my partner how are you three travelling? kind regards Peter and Wilma.

Thanks Peter! Shea and Ayden are both doing very well. Actually, Ayden is just 2 weeks from her 1yr birthday!

I really want to try casting (I've got all the equipment) but every time I see the incredible creations you and some of the others on the forum make, it depresses me. I can't even wrap my head around how you make such beautiful blanks and I know anything I make will never look like the ones I see here. Part of the problem is that I've never been a 'trial and error' person. I want things to come out perfect the first time -- and they never do. Then I get frustrated. Maybe one of these days when (IF) i ever get to retire.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

I like the magnet idea for sure, but your first pen in the post is simply stunning. I would love to understand what is involved in making a blank like that. None of mine have turned out 10% as cool as that.

Sandy.

Thanks Jeff and Sandy,
I started out just like yall with casting. So don't get discourage by mine or anyone else's work!

Also, since yall are both in NC. My door is always open if anyone wants to come by for a visit. Got a spare bedroom if it's ever needed. I might not give away certain things with my casting, but I've helped ALOT of casters raise their level of casting.

BSea

I might not give away certain things with my casting, but I've helped ALOT of casters raise their level of casting.
Hey I resemble that remark!!:biggrin:

And that is the truth. I would be nowhere near as good (relative term) as I am now without Jonathon's help. And while he doesn't share all his secrets, he gives more than enough info to anyone that's willing to try.

Oh, and I don't share all my secrets with Jonathon either.:tongue:

. . . . . . . . Pause till Jonathon quits laughing . . . . . . . . (Like he needs help:rolleyes:)

To be honest, I think that casting is a lot about experience. When I started, Jonathon told me it would take about a gallon of resin before I really got a "feel" for pouring. And I found that to be just about right. Not that you won't get some good blanks in that 1st gallon. So just take your time, and have fun. And while I say a lot is about experience, there is an artist factor involved too. It takes more than a little vision to know what colors work together. That's why Jonathon's blanks are a step above most everyone else. But if you pour enough, you'll get some very cool blanks. But you'll get some that will never be more than scrap too. At least I do.

jyreene

And that is the truth. I would be nowhere near as good (relative term) as I am now without Jonathon's help. And while he doesn't share all his secrets, he gives more than enough info to anyone that's willing to try.

. . . . . . . . Pause till Jonathon quits laughing . . . . . . . . (Like he needs help:rolleyes:)

To be honest, I think that casting is a lot about experience. When I started, Jonathon told me it would take about a gallon of resin before I really got a "feel" for pouring. And I found that to be just about right. Not that you won't get some good blanks in that 1st gallon. So just take your time, and have fun. And while I say a lot is about experience, there is an artist factor involved too. It takes more than a little vision to know what colors work together. That's why Jonathon's blanks are a step above most everyone else. But if you pour enough, you'll get some very cool blanks. But you'll get some that will never be more than scrap too. At least I do.

Agreed. He helped me cast my first ones and now I can't wait to save enough money to start casting. I also learned not to squeeze some of the bottles too much. Apparently pigment can come in too large a volume!

Brooks803

To be perfectly honest....I did get a good chuckle outta that :tongue:

So true! It take about a gallon to get the feel...the rest is just experience and the willingness to experiment. I wasted more resin that I care to acknowledge before getting to the point where I'd say "I'm good".

Don't worry Bob...I have a box full of scrap blanks to. Whenever people come over they get to take as much home as they want!
Agreed. He helped me cast my first ones and now I can't wait to save enough money to start casting. I also learned not to squeeze some of the bottles too much. Apparently pigment can come in too large a volume![/quote]

Hey Tyson...thanks for the reminder that I forgot to send you your blanks after they cured! Sorry! Told you I have a terrible memory. Thank God I still remember how to cook though. Looking forward to this weekend. You can get the blanks then.

And yes you did learn not to squeeze the alumilite bottles to hard. Ended up tossing that mold since it never set up. (don't worry...it was gonna get tossed soon anyways). Let me know when you're ready to start buying supplies. I've got plenty of surplus stuff that I can let go of.

Top Bottom