Mini Kitless - A day in the shop with Jonathon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Took a drive down to spend a (short) day in the shop with Jonathon yesterday. This was the result.

My first fully kitless and a cool mini to boot. Looking back I needed to spend some more time cleaning up the relief below the threads but I just ran out of time before having to drive back home.

All in all I don't think it turned out too shabby. Definitely a fun project and I learned a bunch about the order to do things. Thanks Jonathon!

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I would never have guessed it was your first kitless if you hadn't outed yourself. Very impressive. Looks like you tested it with dark blue ink to go with the blue resin.:wink:

Ed

Carl Fisher

DC SuperShow Blue :) One of my favorite colors and since this one is part of my personal collection now, I figured I'd run it through it's paces for a few days (weeks?)

Brooks803

Looks great Carl! Much better than when it left the shop. If you want to clean up that relief area look in hobby lobby in the model car area. I've seen these little sanding sticks with a conical end that would be perfect for the job. They have progressive grits to. Then use some polish on a rag and then a toothbrush (soft bristle) to clean up the threads.

Btw...that section is awesome! :tongue::wink::biggrin:

Don't forget the mandrel! :rolleyes:

Carl Fisher

Looks great Carl! Much better than when it left the shop. If you want to clean up that relief area look in hobby lobby in the model car area. I've seen these little sanding sticks with a conical end that would be perfect for the job. They have progressive grits to. Then use some polish on a rag and then a toothbrush (soft bristle) to clean up the threads.

Btw...that section is awesome! :tongue::wink::biggrin:

Don't forget the mandrel! :rolleyes:

It was rough form when it left the shop. I knew I was going to take the finial down a bit and shorten the threaded side of the cap to get the proportions closer to what I was after.

Mandrel is sitting at home waiting for me to find a mailer to send it back to you. It should be back in your hands in a few days. It does me no good to hold it hostage anyway since I don't have a triple start set here :wink:

Love the front section. I can't take credit for that as we ran out of time and ended up putting a completed one on from Jonathon's stash before I left, but I'm sure mine would have come out just like that :biggrin::tongue:

Top Bottom