Mini Corn Cob pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

One of the members sent me some miniature corn cobs several months ago. I exploded 2 just drilling them out so they got put up for a while. These cobs are about the diameter of my index finger. Well, Being extra careful, slow and using almost lazer sharp tools, I got one finished. These smaller cobs retain more of the red chaffe when they are turned to size. They don't polish up as good but they look a lot more like a real corn cob. Take a look.........

Attachments

• IMG_1617[1].jpg
    IMG_1617[1].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1619[1].jpg
    IMG_1619[1].jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

Cool looking cobs!Looks a little underturned at the nib end,but that could be the photo.I think you are right they look better than the normal sized ones I have done.

worship-IAP.gif

fiferb

I'm amazed you were able to drill them. I gave up after blowing out two. I even drilled straight down the middle and the only thing left was chaffe. You must have had some larger sized ones. Great job!

angelofdeath

I really like the look of the corn cob style...and how it looks much more like an actual corn cob then the larger ones. Great job, and way to stick with it and be persistant.

OldWrangler

Tony,

I have to settle for sharp tools. Thanks to Parkenson's, the steady hands are gone. Some days are better than others but most days I can hold a glass of milk and make butter. It is really annoying but it might be something worse. These little cobs are a real trick. I blew 2 more this morning just trying to drill them. Got 3 left and tomorrow I'll try again. Wish I could remember who I got the little cobs from so I could get some more. If anybody has a half dozen or more, let me know and I'll buy them or do some trading. Look at the difference between reg and mini.

Attachments

• cobs.jpg
    cobs.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

JohnU

Those are very nice! I think I would try to cast in clear pr before I turned them. It might help with the blowouts. I live in corn country, and Ive never seen cobs so skinny.

dwdwoodwork

Corn Cobs

Nice cob pens. when I turn one the corn cob brakes up. How did you not get them tocome apart?

Dom

don't burn one turn one

OldWrangler

Dom,

The glued in tube really helps hold everything together and from there it is sharp tools and thin cuts. Work the edges down to the bushings a little ahead of the centers of the sections. I start with a 3/4" gouge and switch to a 1" skew to finish up. Also sandpaper removes cob in a hurry so leave it large and take it to bushings with 220 grit paper. Get finished with 400 grit and give it 2-3 coats of thin CA. That will stabilize and then I go back to 400, 600, 1500, 2400, 4000, 6000 and then I finish with 5 coats CA/BLO.....about a minute with 12,000 MM and then Ren Wax. Then on to a Bud Lite.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
George,

If you have time and patience, drill a small hole (1/8"ish). Because there is more "corn" left, it is less likely to blow out. Then, pour thin CA (or med, depending on viscosity from YOUR favorite vendor) into the hole and wait a day. Enlarge the hole, repeat the process until you reach the size hole you wanted.

Also, coating the outside with thick CA (again dry for a day or more), and holding the cob with something that completely surrounds it (PVC pipe) will make blowouts LESS likely.

FWIW,
WEPYPFI

papaturner

George, I`m the one who sent you the pencil cob corn cobs.I`m glad to see the results it really looks good. Here are the steps I go thru when I turn one. Normally i do a slimline due to the small diameter of the cobs. First I soak it with thin CA,let it set for at least 24 hrs. Next I drill the hole and pour thin CA down the hole and let it set another 24 hrs, next I redrill and cut to length and turn. While turning I stop and re-soak with CA as I feel need to. I blow one out now and again but not too often. Finish with CA. I hope this helps. Here`s the last one I turned.

Attachments

• IMG0307.JPG
    IMG0307.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 79

OldWrangler

I couldn't remember who I had gotten the little cob from. Do you still have more that are spare? If not, do you know where to get them. I'd like to do about 3-4 more of the little ones. Look to hear from you.
Thanks, George

Top Bottom