Mineral-Stained, Rainbow Poplar End Cut Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Turned this last night. Used a blank given to me by a supplier from whom I bought some blanks and filled the box with some freebies. This was one of them. It has a nice chatoyancy which is hard to see in the PIC. The wood is stinky when you cut it on the bandsaw. Wasn't real easy to turn. Had to use very sharp tools to get good results... probably the end cut with short fibers.

scimg4798.jpg

Not a great PIC but it is what it is. 5 coats of French Polish with a Beall double buff (no Tripoli buff, only China White and Carnauba) and Ren wax.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Turned this last night. Used a blank given to me by a supplier from whom I bought some blanks and filled the box with some freebies. This was one of them. It has a nice chatoyancy which is hard to see in the PIC. The wood is stinky when you cut it on the bandsaw. Wasn't real easy to turn. Had to use very sharp tools to get good results... probably the end cut with short fibers.

scimg4798.jpg

Not a great PIC but it is what it is. 5 coats of French Polish with a Beall double buff (no Tripoli buff, only China White and Carnauba) and Ren wax.

Nice pen, but I would have thought China White was waaaaaaaaay to expensive to use as a polish!! :rolleyes:

Bree

Nice looking blank. I love seeing your finishes, it's good to see someone using something other than CA all the time!

The French Polish was EZ to do. It dried real fast and I'm testing it's durability as I'm keeping this Poplar pen for my own as there was a flaw in the lower part of the pen kit. Flawed kits are always mine. :-((
:frown::frown::frown:

d1lb3rt

Bree, that's a nice looking finish.
icon14.gif

Mind elaborating on how you apply your french polish?

Bree

Yep... time for a "Bree tutorial" :)

Step 1. Order French Polish from CSUSA http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...Finishes___French_Polish___french_polish?Args=

Step 2. Marvel at the time you saved by buying this little bottle instead of mixing shellac and fooling with pumice etc.

Step 3. Turn pen and sand to 600 grit.
Step 4. Accumulate some dust on sandpaper and put a few drops of CA on the paper and move the sandpaper back and forth filling the pores. Step 5. Sand to 600 again and then to 12,000 MM.
Step 6. Clean the blank of sanding dust
Step 7. Put a drop or two of French polish on 1" strip of lint free cloth and move back and forth rapidly.
Step 8. Use dry section of lint-free cloth and move it rapidly to create friction and help dry the Fr. Polish.
Step 9. Let it sit for a few mins and do Steps 7 and 8 again several times.
Step 10. Remove the mandrel and release tension.
Step 11. Buff with China White and then Caranuba
Step 12. Buff with Ren Wax. Assemble pen and take PIX.

12 Step Program for French polishing!! LOL!

mickr

Hi Bree..pretty finish..I do have to tell you that your finish is shellac..and shellac melts...Beall tells folks not to buff shellac..it gets melted on your wheels..thus clogging them and making your buffing, not really buffing...also, shellac is a lovely, environmentally safe finish for something not handled like a pen..but for a pen it will wear very fast...just like the friction polishes (cause that's all it is when they sell you friction polishes)

d1lb3rt

Bree, thanks for sharing this finish with us. I actually have a bottle of this product. I was able to get a nice soft satin finish with it and albeit it didn't have that glossy look so many seem to be looking for, it did have a nice natural feel in the hand. It seems to me I lose something of the wood factor with a CA finish. I'm having some problems with fumes using CA and spray lacquer (my current finish) so this technique may offer a nice alternative to the friction finish wear debate.

I didn't seal with CA first and I'm not set up to buff. I'm sure adding those two steps will make a difference. Something else will have to wait, I think I see a buffing system in my near future.

Mickr, CSUSA describes this product as a padding lacquer, not shellac. Am I missing something?

Bree

Hi Bree..pretty finish..I do have to tell you that your finish is shellac..and shellac melts...Beall tells folks not to buff shellac..it gets melted on your wheels..thus clogging them and making your buffing, not really buffing...also, shellac is a lovely, environmentally safe finish for something not handled like a pen..but for a pen it will wear very fast...just like the friction polishes (cause that's all it is when they sell you friction polishes)

You are right about the shellac. But as d1lb3rt said I think it is really a lacquer. I buffed it hard and it didn't phase it. So I guess I would call if "Faux French Polish"!! LOL!!
:wink::wink::wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Very nice looking! I like that grain! I've finished quite a few pens with a french polish (pumice, shellac). It's really my favorite finish as far a appearance goes. Several of my co-workers have the pens. Although I haven't been at this too long (less than a year) none of them have complained about the finish wearing off yet.

Top Bottom