Mineral stained Douglas Fir and old growth Lignum Vitae!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

I'd like to point out I am now using NCF accelerator and I STRONGLY suggest it! I cannot imagine using anything else now.

Here is two unusual pens, first one is lignum vitae old growth, one of my customer gave me a small piece he had for more than 25 years! Being so heavy I knew it was special, he told me he used that wood to guide his band saw. I still have 3 others blanks of that stock, it is the best material I turned yet, so dense and oily at the same time! It is rated 4500 on the janka scale, the hardest wood! :)

This one is some Douglas Fir mineral stained, the wood was in a river for nearly 100 years. It was not easy to sand, very gummy, I took extra care to make the most awesome finish. I went for nearly 30 coats with sanding in between and when I assembled it, I heard a few "crackling noises" then I noticed it slightly cracked under the finish at a few areas on the cap. This usually happen when I glue the brass tube with CA glue. when the wood is voidy I go that way, oh well! It is still a keeper, wood like this don't come often.

Thanks and clicky the thumbnails,

Charles

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

boxerman

Two very nice looking pens. Where did you get NFC accelerator and why do you strongly suggest?

Last edited:

CharlesH

boxerman said:
Two very nice looking pens. Where did you get NFC accelerator and why do you strongly suggest?

From www.caglue.com.

With the can, the application is a really fine mist which does not cloud the finish, it is precise.

The spray bottles I used did a poor job at spraying the accelerator. It did spray small droplets which caused cloudyness and spot in my finishes once in a while. So to compensate I sanded more and so on.

C

Sent from my iTouch.

propencity

That Douglas Fir pen is my favorite of the 2. 100 year old wood on a pen is definitely a keeper. Beautifully finished and photographed.

mrburls

Hey Charles the douglas fir blank turned out pretty nice. Your finish is awesome and really brings the colors out in the blank.

Keith "mrburls"

bitshird

Charles The Douglas Fir is a very nice piece of timber, no doubt. But I'll be odd man out, I love the Lignum Vitae A fantastic piece of wood there.

Drstrangefart

Those are as amazing as usual. I always get hung up on the finish and forget there's a pen there. One day I might be patient enough to make 30 coats without rage quitting.

Hubert H

Charles, I'm not sure which I like the most. Your finish brings all the wood to life. Nice very NICE does not describe these two. They are much more than nice. HWH

Ironwood

2 superb pens, not sure if I could pick a favourite between the 2.

Your finish would have to be up there with the best I have ever seen, if not the very best.
Makes mine looks pretty ordinary.

Top Bottom