Military ribbon pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

This is not really a show off, more of a proof of method for me. I know these have been seen before, and am just looking for some feedback on proportions and execution. I shortened the casing a good bit just by eye, and am wondering what people think.

200861215489_splitcartridge.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

did you hide the seam under the clip? want to try these as I have several friends in various branches...just ordered the bullet pieces.

bitshird

I think it looks reasonably well balanced; I think that the comfort and balance of a pen are as important as the cosmetics.
A beautiful pen that is cumbersome, to write with winds up unseen,and unused in a drawer or displayed in some knick knack/curio cabinet, what a sad thing to happen to a nice pen, in my opinion your pen is very nice;);) what wood is that in the lower section?

tmhawk

Excellent job. Fine work. I have my ribbons from Viet Nam and am wondering if you would post or send me a basic tutorial. I'd like to do this as my oldest son wants some of my Marine stuff from V Nam.
Thanks.

Sylvanite

That looks quite nice. I presume you cast a real ribbon in clear resin? I'm planning to use segmented acrylic to mimic service ribbons when I hear back from the DoD on permission to use military emblems. Does the material in the lower blank have some tie-in to the ribbon?

The centerband piece looks good. I know (from experience) that it is the most difficult part of the case to get square and true.

If I were doing it, I think I'd cut the nib section of the case a little shorter, and lengthen the material in the lower barrel to match the upper barrel. To my eye, that yields a more symmetric looking pen. I also would use a bullet for the nib, rather than a kit nib. But, those are just personal preferences.

Good job,
Eric

n7bsn

Originally posted by Sylvanite

....to mimic service ribbons when I hear back from the DoD on permission to use military emblems. ...

Eric, don't be too surprized if you never hear back, things being what they are I would guess that's the most likely responce you would get from the PAO

If you do get a positive response, I can just about bet their the responce would be something along the line of "only people that earned that particular service ribbon are entitled to display it"

TTFN
Ralph

Top Bottom