Military Pens: Special Challange

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I turned these over the weekend. They are pretty straight forward but there turning and completion were a bit of a challenge. I currently only have one good eye and my depth perception is terrible. :bulgy-eyes: Two weeks ago I had surgery on my right eye for a detached retina. It will take 6 - 8 weeks to heal. 2 weeks out of the shop was all I could take. The Doc said I could do anything that didn't bounce me around so I thought I would give turning something a try. They took a little (actually a lot) longer to do than normal but I am pleased with them. :) Maybe when the eye heals I'll see all of the errors. :eek:

Attachments

• Military Collection.jpg
    Military Collection.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You did a FINE job, Mike!! Remember, the customer feels the transition from the fittings to the pen material with their FINGERS!! So, if you do the same with your bushings (assuming they are VERY accurate), your pens should be great!

(At least that was my philosophy when the cataracts were so bad I couldn't see!!)

Boy, is it GREAT when your full sight returns!!

Marko50

Great job turning those blanks into pens Mike! I hope you heal up well.

...On a side note; I was a demonstrator at this years Utah Woodturning Symposium and there was a fellow Demonstrator by the name of Ray Wright who was completely blind, as in no light perception what so ever. He turned some beautiful and amazing pieces!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Great job turning those blanks into pens Mike! I hope you heal up well.

...On a side note; I was a demonstrator at this years Utah Woodturning Symposium and there was a fellow Demonstrator by the name of Ray Wright who was completely blind, as in no light perception what so ever. He turned some beautiful and amazing pieces!

Thanks Mark.

A member, actually a past President, of our local Woodturning Club is also completely blind. He is very inspirational. Dennis DeVendra | The Blind Woodturner

magpens

Great work, Mike !!!! . Wishing you a full and speedy recovery !!

I am sure you will soon be seeing better than ever !!

OZturner

Fantastic Pens, Michael.
Whether you can see them properly or not, they will not look any better, than they do right now.
My Eye's are pretty good, and I can't see any Problems with them at all.
Beautiful Blanks, Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations, and Get Well Soon, and don't forget to take it Easy, or any way you Can.
Regards,
Brian

Top Bottom