Military Maple finds a home

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

Strange how things happen. I got a phone call around Christmas asking if I was the Rick Gibson that had lived in a particular town house complex in Belleville in the mid 70's. My wife had given me his name when I took the phone but it didn't ring any bells until he asked that question then it all came back. He and his wife lived across from us in the town house complex, we were both in the military stationed in Trenton at the time. We became pretty good friends but lost touch after I left the military in 75. I was a ham radio operator at the time and was spending a lot of my spare time building some radio equipment. For some reason after all these years he still remembered my call sign and when his brother was visiting (who was also a ham operator) just before Christmas they got talking and then looked up my callsign on the ham database. I was living less than 1/2 hr away and so got the phone call. We finally got together today for lunch at a restaurant in Chatham. I think the tip we left when breaking up was more booth rental than a tip. We had spent a little over 3 hrs. finding out what had happened with each other over the last 35 years. When we finally broke up I left him with this pen (one of Larry's military maple blanks originally destined for floorboard use in Canadian army vehicles in WWII) and now have to find something "pretty" to make one for his wife.

2080.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerrySambrook

If you need a piece, I do have some walnut that used to be stocks from both M1 and M14 rifles, as well as a couple of pieces from an 1813 SuperMatch Anschutz

S.A.Mappin

I love wood that has meaning... like the Jack Daniels barrel oak blanks I have, and the woods you both described above. Its nice to have a story with the piece you've created.

Top Bottom