Mikes Second pen - improved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

My brothers second pen. The transition between the center band and the wood is much better, not perfect. Make comments so that I can read them to Mike.

Pens - 2-18-11 Box Elder Pink - Mikes second.jpg

Pens - 2-18-11 Box Elder Pink - Mikes second 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

looks like a snake that just swallowed an egg haha .......... great finish u must enjoy teaching I know I do.
Yes, it has been great. As we were growing up I was the oldest and in charge of getting everyone off to school on time 'cause the folks both worked. It is nice not to yell at him and just watch his progress. Heck he was a school administrator for twenty years. Lives in upstate New York in the cold.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Perfect shape for snakewood! Beautiful finish. He's just getting better and better. I wonder what he'd do with LACEwood or BUCKEYE burl.

Jgrden

Perfect shape for snakewood! Beautiful finish. He's just getting better and better. I wonder what he'd do with LACEwood or BUCKEYE burl.
I think we have some buckeye burl Sue. Maybe Monday will be dedicated to you. Thank you for your kind and methodical remarks. :wink:

76winger

Definitely a nice finish on the pen. Whether the shape is to my liking or not is really beside the point, so I would venture to say that making that shape shows he's grasping the use of his tools and what it takes to shape the body and ensure fit with the metal components.

Transam

My brothers second pen. The transition between the center band and the wood is much better, not perfect. Make comments so that I can read them to Mike.

View attachment 45815

View attachment 45816
Hi,
I can see what the shape idea was as I do some similar.
Personally, I think the bulge is too big and the transition from the nib to the bulge does not flow in a gentle arc. It does not follow the contour of the nib curvature.
Also, the top end is a bit irregular and where it meets the centre band is a bit of a different diameter to the bottom end.

Very nice finish and a nice pen never mind me being picky but you did ask...:wink:

Here is one of mine on a similar theme.
prizewinner1.jpg

The bulge on the bottom has to be right or you may not get a nice balance as a true writing instrument.

Do you see what i mean?

Cheers

Stu

Last edited:

Jgrden

View attachment 45815

View attachment 45816
Hi,
I can see what the shape idea was as I do some similar.
Personally, I think the bulge is too big and the transition from the nib to the bulge does not flow in a gentle arc. It does not follow the contour of the nib curvature.
Also, the top end is a bit irregular and where it meets the centre band is a bit of a different diameter to the bottom end.

Very nice finish and a nice pen never mind me being picky but you did ask...:wink:

Here is one of mine on a similar theme.
prizewinner1.jpg

The bulge on the bottom has to be right or you may not get a nice balance as a true writing instrument.

Do you see what i mean?

Cheers

Stu

Cheers
:beer:

Jgrden

Stu, thank you for taking the time to critique. I read the material to Mike and he was appreciative. You will only make him a better contender. Also, your pen was very nice and showed your method well.
John and Mike the Grden brothers.

Top Bottom