Microscopic????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

I wanted to post this pen to get some opinions. When I first made the barrels for this pen they went into the trash pile. The trash pile consists of failed concepts, faulty firings, and the "just ugly". Sometimes with clay you don't know what you are going to get until the very end. This was one of those pens.

Over time, sitting at my desk, I would peek over into the pile of wayward pen barrels. This one kept drawing me in. It started to grow on me. I pulled it from the pile, finished it, and pushed it together. The pen is completely smooth to the touch. The lines are ghost images in the clay. I don't really know how to describe the other effects other then to call them "growths" or "inclusions". They are built into the clay. As you turn down the clay they appear and become more prominent in the piece.

Attachments

• Microscopic.jpg
    Microscopic.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 326
  • Microscopic2.jpg
    Microscopic2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

One of my goals is to work with clay or porcelain. Did you try this on your own or are there materials to read?

Russianwolf

I'm buying my first batch of stuff this weekend, been researching on the net for the last couple weeks. Even asked dawn about kilns since I know I will want to do some stuff that needs to bake at higher temps. It really looks like fun.

cnirenberg

That pen came out great. I like it. I have made the polymer clay pens you wrap around the bic stic pens for the kids, but never had any luck with the lathe. Great job.

"One of my goals is to work with clay or porcelain. Did you try this on your own or are there materials to read?"

I grew up around this stuff so I had some pretty good resources. There is some information out there, but some of it doesn't translate well to pens. You also have to be very careful with some of the finishes and glues because they will react with the clay overtime. Certain polymers will turn the clay to mush.

Have fun and good luck!

Is this polymer clay? If so, what brand?

This is Polymer clay. I mainly use 2 brands, Studio & Premo. Premo has the most color choices and special effect clays. It cures rock hard and has a matte to semi-gloss finish when cured. After sanding and buffing it has a great shine to it without adding a finish.

Studio is fairly new (1 year). It is one of my favorites. The colors are limited and there are no special effect clays. When cured it is rock hard and is very, very matte in sheen. This one will not shine up unless a finish is applied. It is velvet to the touch and doesn't get sticky like premo if it is overworked. Both clay work great and are very durable.

I hope that helps,

I think you have a very marketable design , if you can reproduce the growths and lines at will .
Thanks. I can't do an exact replica, but I can produce this in any color combination. In making this pen I was experimenting with handmade texture sheets and then manipulating the pen after it was cured. This is one of many texture sheets I have made so having it helps me reproduce the pen if someone wants a different color combination.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beauty hides beneath the surface many times! You found it! Great looking pen and I will bet it looks even better than the photo shows!

I will bet it looks even better than the photo shows!

It is hard to photo the 3D effect and the sheen of the clay. I have a pen with the ghost images that I have used everyday for the past 2 years. Over time the sheen of the clay and the effect intensifies due to the oil from your fingers.

Top Bottom