Micrometer & poor bushing size & working slower..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

I decided to slow down, which is a chore, I like instant results, (Have Adult ADD) & do a better job on my afternoon's pen making effort! I actually read through the directions (I guess 'cause the kits I bought last summer before the move were so expensive) and looked at the Taiwan bushing closely & after deciding to mic them, discovered that their size and what was on the instructions did not match! So, for the 1st time I tried to turn the blanks down to "size" measuring with the micrometer. Actually I am much more pleased with the results! The blanks are from SDB777 (Slabs....)

Attachments

• Micrometer.JPG
    Micrometer.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I'm an 'instant results' person too....
Not sure if it's a good thing most days when I'm on the lathe...my boss at work doesn't seem to mind considering I usually outwork his 18 to 25 year old fellas(I digress....)

Do you happen to have a unedited photo? I'd like to put it on the website Phillip(of course credit will be forthcoming)!!

Scott :)bananen_smilies046: outstanding :bananen_smilies046:) B

SteveG

Measuring as you go seems to be the way many pen turners end up using as their preferred and/or standard method (vs completely relying on bushings). I like to TBC, using bushings to get down to "close", then take off the bushings and proceed using digital calipers. That is why I made this post. I think that since you now like the idea of measuring, you might find that DC are quicker and easier to use, and provide all the accuracy needed for most aspects of pen turning. Of course, YMMV!

Top Bottom