'Micro Pocket Pen' - ultra portable writers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

IMG_7691_zps499facf1.jpg

I know that I am not the first to come up with this kind of thing - not by a long shot - but since I really have come to like my Stipula Passaporto fountain pen, and since I have had many, many requests for this kind of thing, I finally decided to do it.

Actually, it came about initially as a screw-up turning the nib section for a larger pen - got a bit careless, and turned it a touch too small. So, rather than turfing it and starting over, I decided to make something of it. I bored it out and tapped it for a #5 JoWo nib, and used a couple of small pieces of nice resin I had, framed them in black acrylic, and here's what I came up with:

IMG_7697_zps7d69c86d.jpg

IMG_7709_zpsc5edb400.jpg

IMG_7719_zps34a260fa.jpg

I know it's not for everyone, but for there are many who really like small pens. The dimensions are about 85mm capped (about 3 3/8 inches), and 120mm posted (about 4 3/4"), which is pretty comfortable for writing. I liked it a lot once I was done, and the first one was quickly spoken for, so I made another just to solidify the techniques and tooling.

IMG_7763_zpsdaa6b247.jpg

IMG_7760_zpsfb3e7c74.jpg

IMG_7758_zpsc922a187.jpg

IMG_7759_zps5a6c8f66.jpg

photo-6copy2_zps3baff012.jpg

Anyhow, thanks for looking. Comments, critiques welcome as always.

Cheers,

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

I really like these short pocket pens. I have an El Toro pen that's small but heavy. I held one of Jonathon Brooks' kitless minis like this and couldn't believe how light it was compared to mine. I expect yours are just as light.

Your second one is my favorite. It wouldn't bother me in the least to have you as a swap partner in the next PITH event!!

Curly

Both pens are cool with a slight edge going to the second, for me at least. Yours are about 3/16" shorter than mine when capped. They are a fun little corner of the pen spectrum.

jttheclockman

I love what you are doing with your pens and the materials you are using. Your photoagraphy is great also which makes looking at the pens enjoyable. But for the sanity of us all can you please make your photos smaller or use thumbnails. When you have to use the page extender to see a pen it is not enjoyable any more. That is my critique. :)

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I love what you are doing with your pens and the materials you are using. Your photoagraphy is great also which makes looking at the pens enjoyable. But for the sanity of us all can you please make your photos smaller or use thumbnails. When you have to use the page extender to see a pen it is not enjoyable any more. That is my critique. :)

John: Could that be your screen resolution setting or something else "computer" I was able to see them all, complete, just by scrolling down. Just thinking outloud. :confused:

jttheclockman

John: Could that be your screen resolution setting or something else "computer" I was able to see them all, complete, just by scrolling down. Just thinking outloud. :confused:

Maybe it is. But I never have to change anything when I look at anyone elses photos. I looked at the size of his photos and they are quite large pixel wise. Hey if it not a problem with anyone else then just ignore my critique. Otherwise I can not find anything else wrong with his pens. Some very fine work for sure.

BSea

Maybe it is. But I never have to change anything when I look at anyone elses photos. I looked at the size of his photos and they are quite large pixel wise. Hey if it not a problem with anyone else then just ignore my critique. Otherwise I can not find anything else wrong with his pens. Some very fine work for sure.

I don't think it's John's screen resolution. Mine is set pretty high (1280 X 1024), and the photos go clear across my screen. Most screens (that aren't wide screens)are probably set to 1024 X 768, and you would have to scroll to see the whole picture.

Now back to our regular scheduled program::biggrin:

I think both pens are really exceptional. I like that you made the barrel end threads on the 2nd pen all black. I was thinking the 1st pen would have looked better done that way, then I saw the 2nd pen. Both are real beauties.

Last edited:

drgoretex

Thanks for all the comments. Feedback really helps shape the work...

Thank you - and thanks for the heads-up on this. Honestly, I am not sure how to do that, though. When I view the post, the pics fit on the screen. Hmmm.... Maybe I will have to upload smaller pics to Photobucket...? Mmmf. Computer stuff...

I think both pens are really exceptional. I like that you made the barrel end threads on the 2nd pen all black. I was thinking the 1st pen would have looked better done that way, then I saw the 2nd pen. Both are real beauties.

Thanks very much! I ended up deciding to do the thread in black acrylic on the second one just because the alumilite (I believe that's what it is) took a bit of 'convincing' to take the triple-start thread (chips etc), whereas the acrylic didn't complain too much.

Cheers,

Ken

BSea

Thanks very much! I ended up deciding to do the thread in black acrylic on the second one just because the alumilite (I believe that's what it is) took a bit of 'convincing' to take the triple-start thread (chips etc), whereas the acrylic didn't complain too much.

Cheers,

Ken
Hey Ken,

I think your ends must be something besides alumilite. Alumilite threads like a dream. PR though is kinda brittle, and can be a hassle to thread. Although triple start threads are doable with PR too. Regardless of the material, I really like the pens. Now I have something to add to my "TO-DO" list.:wink:

Ken,

I've always liked small writing instruments. I use to write with pencils till there was nothing left to sharpen. These 2 Are beautiful examples. Unlike some, they look good open and closed. One thing that keeps pulling my eye away from the beauty of your work though, is the threads. Is there a way to clean them up? Buffer, polish, butter, Pam? :)

drgoretex

Cheers,

Ken
Hey Ken,

I think your ends must be something besides alumilite. Alumilite threads like a dream. PR though is kinda brittle, and can be a hassle to thread. Although triple start threads are doable with PR too. Regardless of the material, I really like the pens. Now I have something to add to my "TO-DO" list.:wink:

Thanks for the thoughts! As far as the threading, I was mostly assuming alumilite because it didn't have the PR 'smell' while turning and wasn't as chippy. I could totally be wrong, and should really check with BearTooth on that. In fact, I only really have this problem on this material with the triple-start, as - I agree - the stuff threads beautifully when I single-start thread it.

Ken,

I've always liked small writing instruments. I use to write with pencils till there was nothing left to sharpen. These 2 Are beautiful examples. Unlike some, they look good open and closed. One thing that keeps pulling my eye away from the beauty of your work though, is the threads. Is there a way to clean them up? Buffer, polish, butter, Pam? :)

Heh - yep, I know exactly what you mean :redface: Just can't get quite as clean a thread on this material as I can on acrylic. And seems to be messier with the triple-start than the single start. Have been using WD40 as lube for threading. Might need to try something else for this stuff. I have tried polishing the threads (tricky) with great success on acrylic single-start, but much less on this material. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Ken

Sorry Ken, but I can't help you there. Now that the subject's been breeched though, maybe someone with some experience with the issue will chime in.

Top Bottom