Mexican Agate TruStone Majestic Jr. FP & Custom Grip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

After using a bit of this Mexican Agate to make some accents for this pen (http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66007) I liked it so much I used the rest for a Majestic Jr. Of course I had to get rid of that eye sore pimp crystal and the finials so I used some Ivory TruStone as a replacement. I've tried to turn a custom grip ala Hans but no go so far. The first one broke and the 2nd was perfect (atleast I thought) until I tried to thread the body into the cap and found out I was about .02" too big and it wouldn't go past the threads. I have enough material for 1 more try so hopefully I can do a repost in another day or so. I'm extremely happy with the outcome so far. It does look slick with the ivory grip so hopefully it'll work out. I upgraded the nib to a Heritage semi-flex steel nib that I got from Exotics. The trustone blanks I bought from Richard at R&B Crafts. All peices were MM to 12000 and polished with PlastX. Thanks for looking and for any comments!

Attachments

• 100_8517.jpg
    100_8517.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_8525.jpg
    100_8525.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_8529.jpg
    100_8529.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_8543.jpg
    100_8543.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_8546.jpg
    100_8546.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Bad to the bone, Jonathon!

Where did you get the MA? I haven't seen any for sale in some time. A "red" pimp stone (would be a lot easier, too!) and cap insert might work with this material, as well?

Good job.

Brooks803

Bad to the bone, Jonathon!

Where did you get the MA? I haven't seen any for sale in some time. A "red" pimp stone (would be a lot easier, too!) and cap insert might work with this material, as well?

Good job.

Thanks Andy. R&B has it in stock as of earlier this week (last I was on there). Check the link to another pen i did in the first post. I used the same blank on the Jr. to make a red pimp stone and finials for a full size majestic. worked like a charm and I must say looks awesome against some black ash burl!:biggrin:

David Keller

Very nice looking pen. I've not turned that particular trustone, but I've added it to my must have list.

I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't like the finished pen better if the accent pieces were in a black titanium colored material. Just a thought...

hebertjo

Awesome pen! I really like the contrast with the ivory.

How was the mexican agate to turn? Was it hard as rock and dulled your tools quickly or was it just a matter of light passes because it is prone to chip? Do tell?

Also, did you paint the tubes? If so what color?

Thanks,

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Thanks for posting that! I have looked at the MA blanks, they are beautiful but was a little scared off because I think I read it was harder to turn. Being I had never turned any tru-stone at the time I thought I'd get more experience before attempting it. That is a gorgeous pen. WOW! I have to get some.

How was it to turn?

Brooks803

Awesome pen! I really like the contrast with the ivory.

How was the mexican agate to turn? Was it hard as rock and dulled your tools quickly or was it just a matter of light passes because it is prone to chip? Do tell?

Also, did you paint the tubes? If so what color?

Thanks,

I use a carbide tool so I may have a slightly sunnier outlook on this material but overall I'd say it's very easy to turn. It is brittle so you do have to take it easy and use light cuts but otherwise I'd say it's user friendly for any of the turning tools. You do need to paint your tubes and/or reverse paint the blank as well. The material is see-through to a degree so I do highly suggest painting. I painted my tubes and blank Black on this one. I really really really love how this blank looks so I'll be placing an order for several more soon (hopefully before they sell out).

Brooks803

Jonathon; Very Nice;

Did you ever think of using the same blank material on the finial??

Thanks Randy. I did think of it but I used part of the blank for finials on a different pen so I didn't have enough for this one. But I do like using contrasting materials to achieve the look I want.

hewunch

I think the grip on the jrs is smaller than the full size (I mean the thickness) I would go with a FS pen first. Also, a hint, before you take the grip off the lathe run the centerband over it to make sure it fits.

Brooks803

I think the grip on the jrs is smaller than the full size (I mean the thickness) I would go with a FS pen first. Also, a hint, before you take the grip off the lathe run the centerband over it to make sure it fits.

oh its a good bit smaller. I just had a brain malfunction and turned to the correct sizes on the ends, but just forgot to make sure the middle portion was the right size. I've got one turned and ready to go I just have to put it on a mandrel like on a closed end pen and sand it to the right size. That'll have to wait till later tonight when I've got some shop time. Also, the finials were ALOT harder to get out than on a full size Majestic. For some reason the metal was much softer and when I tried to knock them out the metal mushroomed badly and I ended up having to drill them out and use a needle file to clear out all the remains.

Brooks803

Now with custom grip

Here we have the new grip for the pen. Also made with Ivory TruStone. I'm shocked it held together bc it is paper thin! I think it completes the look I was after. Yall let me know your opinions as far as the stock grip and this one. I did make this one a tad bit shorter than the stock one bc the stock grip blocked a bit of the engraving on the nib so I made mine to expose it a lil more.

Attachments

• 100_8559.jpg
    100_8559.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_8565.jpg
    100_8565.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_8552.jpg
    100_8552.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom