Mexican Agate on a Navigator Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this morning. The blank is from Dawn and Ed at Exotic Blanks. It's Mexican Agate on a Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen. Have to use really sharp tools! I really like this blank.It is beautiful. I tried different exposures to give an idea of the depth to the blank. Not sure if you can tell. Sanded from 150 to 600 grit, MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000 and finished with HUT Plastic Polish and Ren wax. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Thank you for taking the time to look! Doc:)

Attachments

• Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,630
  • Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 535
  • Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen.jpg
    Agate on Black Titanium Navigator Fountain Pen.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Great job on the pen. I also like the photography. What did you use for the black background; any special setting on the camera or lighting to make it come out that sharp?

SteveG

Super job on both the pen itself and your photography which captures the qualities of the Mexican agate. What color did you use to paint the blank or tube to yield that great appearance. The swirls in the agate really stand out.

wizard

Great job on the pen. I also like the photography. What did you use for the black background; any special setting on the camera or lighting to make it come out that sharp?

I used a light box with black velvet background. Used a Nikon Digital Macro 60 mm Lens with a tripod and remote shutter release that helped minimize vibration and increase sharpness. Changed the position of the flood lights to vary the exposure. Hope that's helpful. Doc

wizard

Super job on both the pen itself and your photography which captures the qualities of the Mexican agate. What color did you use to paint the blank or tube to yield that great appearance. The swirls in the agate really stand out.

I didn't paint the tubes. I used the dark nickel plated replacement tubes that are available for the Navigator pen at Woodcraft.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I didn't paint the tubes. I used the dark nickel plated replacement tubes that are available for the Navigator pen at Woodcraft.

Does look real cool. Did you get the blank from Ed???

Is it that transparent that it needs a painted tube???

One other question: you say you use black felt in the light tent, I think you owe it to us all to tell us how you keep it dust free??? There is not a speck of dust in the photos unless you doc:) the photos????

Great looking pen and kit to match the blank. Thanks for showing.

Last edited:

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Pretty special pen that one ! and well worth the effort you went to finishing and photo-ing :) cheers ~ John :)

wizard

One other question: you say you use black felt in the light tent, I think you owe it to us all to tell us how you keep it dust free??? There is not a speck of dust in the photos unless you doc:) the photos????

Got the blank from Ed and Dawn at Exotics.
I'm not sure that the blank is that transparent but I didn't want to have to deal with the sickening feeling of brass showing through.
How do I keep from a speck of dust in the photos? Only if you promise not to laugh.......I use my wife's Evercare Giant Lint Roller (Adhesive) on the surface of the velvet right before I place the pen on it to take the picture:rolleyes:. That gets rid of 99% of any visible dust. If I still see any dust, I use the spot removal tool in Adobe Bridge.
Regards,
Doc

jttheclockman

Got the blank from Ed and Dawn at Exotics.
I'm not sure that the blank is that transparent but I didn't want to have to deal with the sickening feeling of brass showing through.
How do I keep from a speck of dust in the photos? Only if you promise not to laugh.......I use my wife's Evercare Giant Lint Roller (Adhesive) on the surface of the velvet right before I place the pen on it to take the picture:rolleyes:. That gets rid of 99% of any visible dust. If I still see any dust, I use the spot removal tool in Adobe Bridge.
Regards,
Doc

Oh I can see it now a mad rush to the dept store and the ladies dept for a lint roller. Thanks for the reply and the pen and photo does look great. Thanks for showing.

I will be ordering these from Ed when he says the alternate Casein comes in.

PenPal

Forgive my lame humour (whats up Doc) you nailed that pen both the pen and pic are outstanding. It has been a while since I was so moved the actual beauty is unbelievable in every way exciting. In this country SWMBO and I use a special sponge to remove lint, it lasts for years,is washable not large. Previously we used the fly paper type roller. My dearly beloved thinks black is beautiful and for Church dark suits our experience has been helpful. Having said that most adhesives in this country come from wherever and whenever so you quality may be higher level.
I am not surprised when you said you got the Blank from Ed he has great taste.
You made that pen live and I guarantee your Pen is as fine an example of that blank anyone could wish for. Be proud its as we say a ripper. Front page quality for me.

Regards Peter.

johnnycnc

Outstanding on all counts, Doc! it's rare to see that kind of depth and movement,
if you will, in a blank.
I have one of these waiting on some turning time..think it just got moved up the list!

wizard

Thank you for the kind words. This is probably the most unique blank that I ever have worked with. It is really hard for a picture to do it justice. Again, thank you. Doc

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Doc!!

GREAT pen and photo!!

There has been some confusion and a particular person even argued with my observations. So, can you tell us if this blank seems like a member of the Tru-stone "family"?

I have said it is not a stone and seems more like a hard resin--Feel free to use YOUR description, but I am interested in others' perspective on these blanks.

Thanks!!!!

wizard

Hey Doc!!

GREAT pen and photo!!

There has been some confusion and a particular person even argued with my observations. So, can you tell us if this blank seems like a member of the Tru-stone "family"?

I have said it is not a stone and seems more like a hard resin--Feel free to use YOUR description, but I am interested in others' perspective on these blanks.

Thanks!!!!

Ed,
I've already gotten a PM asking the same question. My best guess is that it is a very hard dense brittle resin. It is definitely brittle when turning and I used fresh carbide cutters after the first minute or so. It does not have the opaque properties that I have noted with Tru-Stone where you less likely to need painted tubes. Rather the material seems transparent enough to see the various layer swirls and multiple variety of hues that you would expect from a polymer resin or plastic. That's my two cents worth.
I would love to hear from others that have turned this material!
Ed, come to think of it, I believe you very closely know, in my opinion, the foremost expert in this area of PR chemistry.:wink:
Regards,
Doc

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Doc!!

Dawn pours, she doesn't turn. But if "Glass Scratcher" has used this product, I would love to see his analysis.

But, in spite of the fact we buy it from "Tru-Stone factory", it is not any kind of stone, as far as I can judge!

Top Bottom