Metal marbling via watercolor ground

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

After some trial and error, I think I've found a nice way to marble metal pen tubes - the secret is (and please note that this is highly classified, nearly unhackable intel, presented exclusively here on a need-to-know basis to the inner circle of turning intelligentsia):

Daniel Smith makes a number of watercolor grounds, which can be applied to metal (preferably 2 coats applied to 150-grit-sanded tubes using a foam brush or soft watercolor brush, drying 24 hours between coats), alum applied per my earlier "Meet the Marblewoods" post, then marbled once or twice as usual.

I'm working my way through the following types of ground:
Titanium buff
Titanium white
Mars Black
Transparent
Pearlescent white
Pearlescent gold

I'll then try mixing the various grounds, adding mica, sand, etc. (but do not wish to give away any more secrets until it is time - hoping the anticipation will sweeten the moments).

This set of Slimline Stylus Pens was done with Daniel Smith Titanium Buff Watercolor Ground (Douglas and Sturgess PR, tube-in cast):

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(any resemblance of these objects to the strata of the earth's crust is purely coincidental)

Will keep you posted.

- Bob

Attachments

• DanielSmithTitanBuffMarblingGround,800px.jpg
    DanielSmithTitanBuffMarblingGround,800px.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 645
  • DanielSmithTitanBuffGroundedMarbledStylusPens,markison,Aug,2017,800px.jpg
    DanielSmithTitanBuffGroundedMarbledStylusPens,markison,Aug,2017,800px.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 682
  • DanielSmithTitanBuffGroundedMarbledStylusPens,markison,Aug,2017,cliptoright,800px.jpg
    DanielSmithTitanBuffGroundedMarbledStylusPens,markison,Aug,2017,cliptoright,800px.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 673
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Well I may lack the "intelligentsia", I do appreciate the fine tutorials and wealth of information that you so kindly provide here. I do love all the creative things that you do and just plain enjoy reading your postings. So a great big GRAZIA good sir.

Bob in SF

Thanks to all for kind comments!

Glenn - thanks for keeping this information strictly confidential - I knew I could count on fellow pen turners (and the sacred privacy of the internet).

Michael - Go for it - great fun and variety.

I just birthed out this brood of twice marbled tubes using Daniel Smith iridescent gold watercolor ground - the gold shines well and adds a little extra pop:

attachment.php

Happy Monday to all - Bob

Attachments

• DanielSmithGoldMetalMarbledTubes,markison,aug28,17,800px.jpg
    DanielSmithGoldMetalMarbledTubes,markison,aug28,17,800px.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 478

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Mal!

I'm enjoying the pop and clarity of the iridescent gold ground - thinking that this frisky new couple on the block might go forth and multiply this weekend.

attachment.php

Happy Wednesday to all - Bob

Attachments

• DanielSmithGoldGroundMarbledCouple,markison,Aug30,17,800px.jpg
    DanielSmithGoldGroundMarbledCouple,markison,Aug30,17,800px.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 386

Bob in SF

Brian - many thanks for the kind words!

Always a pleasure to share these little discoveries, Friend.

I'll be marbling some more local beach sand, plus some very fine beach sand just received from a friend in Clearwater, Florida - will post techniques soon.

Have a fine weekend - Bob

Top Bottom