Metal Leaf Take 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

broitblat

I did a Buckeye Burl Elegant Beauty with metal leaf inlay a few weeks back and got some good feedback that the inlay would work better with a wood that didn't already have so much of its own natural figure, so here's a version done with Blackwood.

1_Blackwood___leaf.jpg

I don't think I did as good a job on the pen, but I think it does make a handsome combination.

I'd appreciate your thougts.

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Over all it is spectacular. But is there a chunk of leaf missing on the lower band right below the clip? Or is it just that my eyes don't want to be open yet today?

broitblat

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Looks Great. How do you do that?

Initially turn the blank slightly proud, then cut grooves using a parting tool. Next glue in the metal leaf (I use a glue that dries to a tackiness, then roll the blank in the metal leaf). Remount on the lathe and fill the grooves with thick CA, let dry, and turn to final size.

Hewunch said:
Over all it is spectacular. But is there a chunk of leaf missing on the lower band right below the clip? Or is it just that my eyes don't want to be open yet today?

Hans,

Unfortunately, you're right. I hadn't noticed that before my original post, so I disassembled the pen to repair it (and actually destroyed it in the process :confused:).

-Barry

Top Bottom