Mesquite and Walnut rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This is my third attempt with the wooden roller balls. they are a fun challenge and cheap to make. I have about $2.00 in tubes and the refill plus what ever the blank would cost. I chose to make the body out of Burl mesquite this time and crotch walnut. Unfortunately the pieces of walnut are so small they dont really show the figure in the walnut well.
Picture of the tubes, the walnut connector with threads inside for the nosecone and outside for the cap. Also the walnut center band with internal threads.
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

The brass piece is threaded the same as the cap threads in this case m12 x .75. I put a penny in to get an idea of sizes. The walnut connector piece is screwed into the brass piece mounted on the lathe and the groove for the tube is cut in the back of it. You can see the groove in the next picture.
DSC_0006.JPG

the nest 3 are pictures of the pen it needs a clip but i may not make one for it and I may. I haven't decided yet. It has some issues but I was focusing on improving the threading on the wood parts. I was able to make them cleaner and smoother than the earlier two I had made.

DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG

I did put mesquite inserts in the ends. I will probably keep this one for my desk pen for a while.
DSC_0015.JPG

Comments and questions are welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

That's a great looking pen Mike. I really like the shape shape of this pen, especially the nib.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have seen Mikes pens up close and personal. Photos just don't show the quality and skill that goes into Mikes pens. Very nice work Mike. I'm glad you posted them.

Old Lar

That is a great pen as are the others. The work of a true craftsman or artist or whatever, those are really great pens.

bluwolf

I've seen them too and I can't believe he gets those little pieces of wood to sit still and take threads. Never mind the rest of the pen.....

drgoretex

Beautiful work - inventive and resourceful to say the least. Some awe-inspiring craftsmanship there!

Ken

wizard

Mike, That is a unique and handsome looking pen. Incredibly creative design. Love the black on that wood. Looks very sleek. You are truly gifted!
Doc

BSea

My threading experience is very limited, and I've never tried to thread wood. I'm guessing that the wood should be a hard type (like mesquite), or stabilized. So, did you have to do anything to the walnut, like add CA before threading?

Any tips would be appreciated.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My threading experience is very limited, and I've never tried to thread wood. I'm guessing that the wood should be a hard type (like mesquite), or stabilized. So, did you have to do anything to the walnut, like add CA before threading?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Nope threaded as natural as can be. I did put walnut oil on them after cutting them. The walnut oil soaks in and hardens the wood a little. I have cut threads on Walnut Cherry and Mesquite. I thread the insides with standard taps. THe outside have to be cut on the lathe with a single point 60 degree cutter. Then I chase them with the die by hand. Very very carefully....

YOu can soak it in thin ca to help strengthen the material before threading it and adding ca as needed as you go. I have not been successful yet in forming the outside threads with just a die. Instead of pulling the die onto the wood and forming threads it just grinds the thread its forming off as you turn it.

I did do one thing different on this pen than on the first two. I used a smaller upper tube. The first two have a jr gent2 ballpoint upper tube. This one has a jr gent click upper tube. I believe the jr gent 2 is 12 mm and the click version is 11.5mm. The reason I changed tubes was the jr gent 2 was wider than the inside threads and i couldnt make a mandrell to fit it withou hitting the threads. the click tubes are smaller inside diameter than the threads. The mandrel holds the tube without hitting the cap threads.

cnirenberg

Mike,
To take a quote from my kid's favorite movie (The Incredibles)......"That is just WICKED!!" The threading is too cool on those bits of timber. I like the style of the pen as well, lots of style.

Top Bottom