Mesquite / Seirra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

This was a tree this morning, the Mesquite was given to me with the understanding that in order to get the burls I had to take the whole thing ( I had to think about that for a minute :eek: OK!!!).. So this morning I took it all down and took it home, This is the first pen out of it. It has 4 thin coats of CA/BLO and 2 Thick coats of CA/BLO and and has been plastix polished. :biggrin:
Any comments Welcome, Thanks for looking. :)

Attachments

• Mesquite.jpg
    Mesquite.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Mesquite 0161.jpg
    Mesquite 0161.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 202
  • Mesquite 0251.jpg
    Mesquite 0251.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo010.jpg
    Photo010.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo0101.jpg
    Photo0101.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tony Pridmore

Same day? Standing tree to finished pen? Wow!

How did you dry it? I've never turned, or even seen mesquite in person. It must be very, very stable.

-Tony

maxman400

Well, It has been dead for quite some time and here in the desert it is very dry. Mesquite is an iron wood and is IMHO a very stable wood. The dark spot is worm Poo which needed to be stabilized with some thin CA but that's it. So all I had to do was cut and turn.

Fred

And to understand that you actually had to "think" about the restriction to take it all ...

Excellent decision and the oen shows your efforts quite well. Did you get the rootball or is there some still left there for the rst of us? The tree reminds me of the "Whompus" tree in Harry Potter or whatever that tree was named that beat the hades out of you if you got too close.

Last edited:

phillywood

Max, very nice mesquite burl, and beautiful and unusual looking pen. I tried to cut the one I found and guess what I had trouble slicing it because in the middle it was still wet.
BTW, I thought Mesquite would only grow in warm and humid climate like south Texas.

maxman400

And to understand that you actually had to "think" about the restriction to take it all ...

Excellent decision and the oen shows your efforts quite well. Did you get the rootball or is there some still left there for the rst of us? The tree reminds me of the "Whompus" tree in Harry Potter or whatever that tree was named that beat the hades out of you if you got too close.

It did bite me a few times, and it was a little rough on the saw, I had the wife stop HF and get the chain saw sharpener that just happen to be on sale this week. :biggrin: She understands things like that. :wink:

maxman400

Max, very nice mesquite burl, and beautiful and unusual looking pen. I tried to cut the one I found and guess what I had trouble slicing it because in the middle it was still wet.
BTW, I thought Mesquite would only grow in warm and humid climate like south Texas.

Well it is definitely is warm here and there is plenty of water around. Pahrump is native American for water-rock, we sit on a huge underground aquifer. So the Mesquite grows like weeds out here. :biggrin::biggrin:

maxman400

amazing that a beautiful pen like that could come from such an ugly lookin tree!!!
I took this Pen back to the man that gave me the tree and he said the same thing, then he couldn't believe that I was giving him the pen. He liked it so much he offered me another tree.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: To be picked up at a later date.

wizard

Love the pen...keep a picture of the tree the pen came from if you give any as gifts.. I really like the one pic with the "worm poo". What is "worm poo" by the way? Maybe better off not knowing:eek: Doc

maxman400

Love the pen...keep a picture of the tree the pen came from if you give any as gifts.. I really like the one pic with the "worm poo". What is "worm poo" by the way? Maybe better off not knowing:eek: Doc
It would be the brown wood-like substance :wink: that is left behind the worm :eek: as it eats it's way through the wood. :biggrin:

Top Bottom