Mesquite on a satin pearl cigar - any way to fix this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Ok, so I had to hand cut the tubes on this one and cut them to the exact specs from the library. However either I nicked the tube down when I was squaring up or this particular kit is a bit off. Once finished up, the tip of the refill peeks out of the tip slightly and extends too far when in the open position.

Is there any way to shim up the transmission or tip that won't be obvious when it's assembled?

Other than that, I really like the mesquite. Great turning characteristics and would actually polish up nicely on it's own. I think the next one I do will stay natural with some turners finish on it instead of CA.

Attachments

• IMG_1524_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1524_1 (Small).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1525_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1525_1 (Small).jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1526_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1526_1 (Small).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1527_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1527_1 (Small).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 119
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tokyotank

Pull the black refill stopper and trim the refill downa bit. This in turn will pull it back up into the nib enough the when retracted all the way it will not poke out.

tokyotank

here is a pick of my stubby Polaris I did for my 10 yr old. you can see the shortened refill. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 2012-01-26 12.47.05.jpg
    2012-01-26 12.47.05.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 121

Carl Fisher

Pull the black refill stopper and trim the refill downa bit. This in turn will pull it back up into the nib enough the when retracted all the way it will not poke out.

Wasn't aware you could do that. It might get me just enough to at least have it retract all the way.

I guess I could just do that and keep it in my daily writers collection. If I cut it down and sell it, the first time someone goes to replace the cartridge, the issue will return.

I know there is a perfect tube length tutorial in the library, but I was a bonehead and skipped checking before gluing it up. Chalk it up to another lesson learned.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Looking at it, what I may do is turn a fatter black trim ring at the tip and just lengthen the tip a bit. Should get me enough to be comfortable with.

Lenny

Looking at it, what I may do is turn a fatter black trim ring at the tip and just lengthen the tip a bit. Should get me enough to be comfortable with.

That's what I was going to suggest but you figured it out on your own!

That's really a better solution if the pen is going to end up in someone else's hand.

Rounder

I actually just did that on a pen I made for my wife's cousin. Then I bought 5 refills and trimmed then the same. Told her they were only for that pen and to call me if she needed more refills.

Carl Fisher

I just turned down a small aluminum trim ring to sit between the black trim ring and the tip. Worked like a charm. Left it with a brushed (sanded) finish as it was as close as I could get to the satin color of the kit. It's noticeable but doesn't stand terribly.

Thanks for the pointers all. Good to know about the refills for some one-offs.

Attachments

• IMG_1528_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1528_1 (Small).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1529_1 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1529_1 (Small).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

weasel1219

Ok, so I had to hand cut the tubes on this one and cut them to the exact specs from the library. However either I nicked the tube down when I was squaring up or this particular kit is a bit off. Once finished up, the tip of the refill peeks out of the tip slightly and extends too far when in the open position.

Is there any way to shim up the transmission or tip that won't be obvious when it's assembled?

Other than that, I really like the mesquite. Great turning characteristics and would actually polish up nicely on it's own. I think the next one I do will stay natural with some turners finish on it instead of CA.
The pen looks great and it does polish up real good.
Where I am at mesquite grows like weeds and is available from my backyard.
There are a couple of characteristics of mesquite that need to be said:
1. This is one of the toughest woods around
2. The grain is absolutly gorgeous.
3. It can eat your band saw blades with one or two passes, so be prepared to get extra blades.
4. One of the dustiest woods when sanding.
5. Best finish I have found for mesquite is Behlen Wood turners finish and Johnston paste wax. I usually sand mine down to 12000 grit.
6. Not too many people around here will slab mesquite for you unless you buy the blade and at $60 per hour.
7. The best BBQ would around.

Hope this helps

South Texas Pen Works
www.southtexaspenworks.com

sbell111

There is an amazingly simple fix to your problem.

All you have to do is unscrew the transmission slightly to 'dial in' the refill extension. Then use loctite to lock the transmission in place. Problem solved.

Top Bottom