Mesquite Desinger/Euro plus one

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I've been waiting patiently for the lacquer to cure on both of these and with the luck I've had the first part of the week, I didn't want to tempt it. I decided to put them together tonight. The Designer is an 8mm Parker type w/Dario's Mesquite. Some of you may remember that I had a catch and blew the lower part of the tube off. You will see my solution. The chatoyance in this wood is amazing. I left it in the kitchen window while it was curing in hopes that it would turn as red as it was before I started turning it (5 days). I guess the lacquer prevented that.

200572235329_mesquite_designer.jpg

This one is some of my splated Maple (unstabilized). I'm working on stabilizing some now... this is just too difficult to work without it. But I sure like the way the wood looks.

200572235616_spalted_mapleSL.jpg

Thanks for looking. Go ahead, hack away.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Interesting grain pattern on the lower pen. I like the way it turned out.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice pens Billy... for the mesquite you might want to put it out in the sun for a while before the lacquer.. that should give it back some of the red... not much, but some... I mean after all a lacquer finish is not a fast system, so what is another day or two..

Dario

Nice pens Billy, it's a shame that you had to fix the mesquite.

Mesquite turns red more as it is exposed to sun...depending on lacquer's UV protection properties...the pen may turn red slowly over time. How slow is the question [;)]. Try Tom's recommendation next time and expose them first to sun before applying the finish. I think being inside a glass window may slow down color change too.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Tom, after three days in the window and no noticeable effects, I pretty much decided that I would try to let it change before applying the finish next time. We'll see what happens. Dario, I was just sick when I had that catch. Even worse when I couldn't find the errant piece. I considered a number of different repair options before decided to use part of the cut-off from the original blank. I wanted to use Blackwood, but I didn't have any... or so I thought. As it turns out, I had two blanks that I thought were Gaboon Ebony. [:(] Now I have twelve blanks of Blackwood so that will not be an issue in the future. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom