Mesquite Burl Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chuck Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Key

Completed a Special Order today. They are in the mail.

20063140338_MESQBURL.jpg

Chuckie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Chuckie,
You know I like 'em and especially the mesquite burl. May I ask where you get them in the box. I can only find them two to a card. They look great.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Completed a Special Order today. They are in the mail.

20063140338_MESQBURL.jpg
<br />

Chuckie

PenWorks

Good job Chuckie, I like the burl.
I noticed the box says "Supeior Quality Construction".
You seemed to have no problem taking them apart [:D]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Chuckie,
You know I like 'em and especially the mesquite burl. May I ask where you get them in the box. I can only find them two to a card. They look great.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Appreciate the positive comments from everyone.

Don,

I bought several dozen boxes on eBay awhile ago for $18.00 per dozen. I have only a couple of dozen left then it will be the $9.00 for two at the local office store. They are going for more than $40.00 per dozen now on Ebay.

Chuckie

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Peninhandrjg
<br />OK,OK,OK... I must have slept thru (another) class....how do we make these pencils? Thanks

I use custom made tools to make the pencils. Don Ward developed a tutorial on his process using off the shelf tools. I will let Don comment on his process and direct you to his tutorial.

Chuckie

cwhitmer

I think I slept through this class too! I too am VERY interested in turning these Pentel pencils. From browsing the web, I came across some old instructions from CraftUSA, but they no longer stock the special 'taper bit' used to drill the blanks. I'd love to hear how you guys accomplish this.

BTW, great looking pencils.

Many thanks.

its_virgil

My process is outlined in an article in the articles collection. It can be found here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp?cat=articles

If you are a member of he Yahoo Penturners Group, there are a couple of other articles outlining similar processes. Mainly its drilling a 5/32 hole the length of the blank, then chasing it with a 1/4 hole but not all the way through. WEll, no reason to rewrite the article here. Take my instructions and develope a better/easier way to do the Pentel pencil. I am not doing it exactly as the article outlines now. I need to revise my earlier article...but turning is more fun![:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by cwhitmer
<br />I think I slept through this class too! I too am VERY interested in turning these Pentel pencils. From browsing the web, I came across some old instructions from CraftUSA, but they no longer stock the special 'taper bit' used to drill the blanks. I'd love to hear how you guys accomplish this.

BTW, great looking pencils.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom