Mesquite Burl Desire/Hancock FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Here is a mesquite burl Desire (aka Hancock) fountain pen that I'm doing for a friend. I wanted to make a high end FP so USA machined stainless hardware from LazerLinez got the call and I'm waiting for a two toned steel nib from Meister Nib to complete the package.

The finish is sand through 1000, then walnut oil, then 5 coats of Doctor's Pens Plus then microcrystalline wax.

Mike

Attachments

• Mikal2FS.jpg
    Mikal2FS.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Mikal3FS.jpg
    Mikal3FS.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Mikal1FS.jpg
    Mikal1FS.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Mikal4FS.jpg
    Mikal4FS.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jsolie

Beautiful pen. I love the way mesquite smells when turned. It's even better on the grill, but I don't want to get off topic...

wildbill23c

Banned
Pen looks excellent.

How do you like the Dr's Pens Plus product? It was suggested to me by one of the clerks at Woodcraft. Haven't purchased any yet as haven't had the spare cash. I'm currently using Myland's.

kyaggie

Thanks for all of the nice comments, folks. As a Texas boy, mesquite burl is my favorite darker domestic wood. It always has some great swirls in the grain. Plus, as jsolie suggests, if things go wrong you can always use your mistake to enhance your supper!

How do you like the Dr's Pens Plus product?

I REALLY like Wood Dr's Pens Plus. With a little practice it gives a nice gloss finish (not quite as high as CA) but it leaves the wood still feeling and looking like wood rather than a piece of plastic.

Mike

BSea

The pen looks fantastic. And that finish is fast becoming my favorite method for woods without voids. Just curious why you use microcrystalline wax when the Pens Plus product already has the wax in it? I certainly can't hurt though.

Have you seen this method for using the walnut oil & pens plus finish?

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/doctors-wood-shop-pen-finish-tutorial-110276/

My method is very similar to the one above. I could see a difference between my original pens Plus method, and then doing the MM sanding with walnut oil. The only difference in what I do from the method above is that I use all the MM pads. It only adds a minute or two to the process.

walshjp17

Just curious why you use microcrystalline wax when the Pens Plus product already has the wax in it? I certainly can't hurt though.

If you look at Mike Meredith's (The Wood Dr.) pen turning/finishing video (Videos) he uses the microcrystalline wax as the last step. Similar to using PlastX or Hut's I guess.

kyaggie

Bob, as John says, I use Wood Dr's microcrystalline wax as a last step for added durability as shown in his videos. I essentially use mikespenturningz method of applying and buffing Pens Plus but I have not used MM with walnut oil during the sanding. My last 2 sanding steps are with Abralon 500 and 1000 grit pads that really leave the wood nice and smooth. I do need to try the MM/walnut oil though to see how it works for me.

Mike

Top Bottom