Mesquite burl cigars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Last summer my neighbor started clearing a couple of lots covered with large mesquites :-(. I took a walk amongst the piles of broken trees and spotted a couple of nice mesquite burls about the size of a very large canteloupe. Here is a picture of three cigars I just made from one of these burls. Can't wait to make more from it and the other one.

Enjoy, and as always comments about the pens welcome, good, bad or indiffernt.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

2005712164144_Jeannies%20order.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don,

I've never turned mesquite, burned it, never turned it.

These pens are enough to make me try. REALLY outstanding look.

Did you fill voids? Or weren't there any[:p][:p][:p]? That, alone, would be a big persuader.

alamocdc

Beautiful pens, Don. I love Mesquite and burls are even better. My son-in-law told me that he burned one that was almost 18 inches about two weeks before I came down there (cooked with it). I could have killed him! [:(!]

Leather Man

That is some of the nicest looking wood I have seen. I didn't know mesquite burl was so pretty. Those are very nice looking pens Don. I still like the spalted curly oak, but I think I will try to find some mesquite burl.
Ben

its_virgil

Ed,
Thanks for the kind words. There are voids but not on these three. I will fill with sanding dust or maybe some crushed stone of some kind. Thanks again for looking.

Billy,
Thanks also. I hope you set your son-n-law straight about burning any kind of burls...burn the straight stuff and turn the twisted.

Klars: Thanks also.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

its_virgil

Ben,
Thanks and yes, in my opinion, mesquite burl is well worth the time to find it. The wood from the crook in so many of the mesquite limbs is nice also. It turns very nicely and is one of the nicest woods I turn.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Leather Man
<br />That is some of the nicest looking wood I have seen. I didn't know mesquite burl was so pretty. Those are very nice looking pens Don. I still like the spalted curly oak, but I think I will try to find some mesquite burl.
Ben

its_virgil

Thanks Anthony, Dario, and RT. I have had a difficult time waiting a year for it to dry, but the wait was well worth it. Need to look for some more myself.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Great looking pens Don, that mesquite really gives it that great tobacco look to it. !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom