Mesquite burl, CA with square threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Bill Sampson gave this piece of mesquite burl at a Richmond penturners meeting and challenged me to make a kitless pen from it. Don't think I've ever fought a more difficult piece of wood. Every time I touched a tool to it it seems a crack or hole would open up. Its an old piece of wood from furniture I think and didn't appear wet, but in the end with the help of a bottle of CA I think I may have won the battle. Also I've been playing with square threads for the cap which also seemed to work. Dan Symonds uses this style on most of his pens, I thought it was cool looking, and I wanted to give it a try. All comments welcome.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mesquite burl closed.JPG
    Mesquite burl closed.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 616
  • Mesquite burl open.JPG
    Mesquite burl open.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 599
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice Bruce !! How did you do the Acme thread? Manually or Electronically?
I'm torn between the superb shape when the pen is closed to the biggish step when it's open.

Bill Sampson

Bruce,
The pen looks great! Actually, this wood came from a several pound chunk of Mesquite burl that a burl collector gave me some time ago. He said it was 35/40 years old. I'm glad you turned this old piece into a work of art. I'm waiting to see what Tim Wise and John Penberthy do with the pieces I provided for them.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

its_virgil

Good going Bruce.. I really like mesquite, especially a burl piece. The pen's shape and size seem to fit each other. And, I've liked square threads ever sense I experienced them on some of Dan's first pens. The square threads seems to work well with pens and they look cool and are a bit different from other pen's threads. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
don

Top Bottom