Meshing around with Copper and Color (experimental pen)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

This is an experimental pen - top is Batik (wax resist hand-dyed 8mm Habotai silk) and the bottom is copper mesh with pearlescent acrylic paint. Not a good color match, but does relate the Batik "color cells" to the mesh-delimited color diamonds (for future experiments). The technical challenge was to very quickly wrap the copper mesh around the well-sanded CA coated brass tube, quick CA accelerator spray, then release quickly to avoid spending the day picking glove fragments out of the mesh. Painting was simple - dowel to stabilize the tube, colored with Jacquard Lumiere pearlescent acrylics. Next step was tube-in pressure casting with PR, followed by careful turning (more fun ahead, can foresee some interesting cloisonne-style enameling-like possibilities):
attachment.php

Happy Sunday and Happy Father's Day.

- Bob

Attachments

• MeshBatikCombo,june19,16,markison,explained,800px.jpg
    MeshBatikCombo,june19,16,markison,explained,800px.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 674
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

The "mosaic" mesh look is simply fantastic. Are you sure that you're not a creative mad scientist rather than a surgeon? Your work is so varied and inspirational as you really present some very creative challenges. Please continue to share your work with us.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have long been designing a type of "stained glass" pen blank in my mind. This is inspiring. Not quite what I had envisioned but it is close.

Love that idea! Looks great!

Bob in SF

Humble thanks Kirk, Peter, Brian and Hank.

These are little starts - planning to refine and streamline the working methods - and glad to share.

Happy Monday - Bob

magpens

Very creative and attractive, Bob !!!

Must have missed this thread last year. . Thanks for recently referencing it.

BeeAMaker

Nice looking pen! In fact - I purchased that same mesh material from the hobby store just last week and soon came the same issue - getting it glued around the tube lol.
My plans are bit different than yours, but I like your idea! really cool.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Thanks Mal and Glenn!

My plan for the next copper mesh wrap is to cut the mesh rectangle, then CA glue an edge onto the alcohol ink-painted tube (setting the glue quickly with a tiny bit of Insta-set accelerator on a sheet of non-stick parchment paper); then wrap & glue the remainder of the mesh around the tube; paint the mesh interstices with dimensional acrylic or tinted PR; then cast with a tube-in mold, etc.

Lots of possibilities.

Best regards, Bob

OZturner

Thanks Mal and Glenn!

My plan for the next copper mesh wrap is to cut the mesh rectangle, then CA glue an edge onto the alcohol ink-painted tube (setting the glue quickly with a tiny bit of Insta-set accelerator on a sheet of non-stick parchment paper); then wrap & glue the remainder of the mesh around the tube; paint the mesh interstices with dimensional acrylic or tinted PR; then cast with a tube-in mold, etc.

Lots of possibilities.

Best regards, Bob

Thanks for the Preview Bob.
I am afraid I was left, just after you cut the mesh wrap to the mesh rectangle.

If you don't mind, I will sit here and wait until I see your Finished Post, and probably then I might be able to follow what you were contemplating.

No matter what it is, I am always assured that with you, it will be something Unique, Out of left Field, and All Inspiring.

Please Keep those Wheels Turning.
I Love your Work my Friend.
Brian.

Top Bottom