Mesh blank used

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LOIBLB

LOIBLB

Turned this pen this morn from a mesh blank it's 30 deg. in the shop. Put a little curve on the body to see how it would look.
A wood blank I was turning blew out yesterday it was 17 deg. Not sure the cold had anything to do with it.

Attachments

• 20161220_134618.jpg
    20161220_134618.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

campzeke

I like it! I was just thinking about doing something similar this morning but didn't want to experiment with a customer order. Maybe I will play with some different ideas after the holidays.

liljohn1368

Great looking pen. I think my shop would be the envy of a lots of turners. It's heated and cooled. My wife let me turn one of our unused bedrooms into a small shop 12' X 16'. Not big but it helps when I can work year round.

OZturner

Nice Pen and Blank, Robert.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
I don't know if the Workshop Temp, would have caused the Blow out you mentioned.
I would likely go for the Gluing of the Blank to the Tube, and / or a square Scrapping Action, picking up on the wood.
What sort of Tool were you using?
Congratulations,
Brian.

LOIBLB

Thanks,
The wood that came apart was black palm wood. The tube had very little epoxy on it.
I'm now seeing the epoxy is not getting good contact. Going to plan "B"
Maybe swab the inside hole of blank with epoxy with a Q-tip before inserting the tube.

Top Bottom