Mescalbean Worthless Woodâ„¢ Jr. GentII

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a Mescalbean (Sophora Secundiflora) Worthless Woodâ"¢ Jr. Gent II in Blk Titanium that I recently completed. This particular piece is not root burl like I usually use for my Mescalbean Worthless Woodâ"¢ pens so it is not as exciting but is still beautiful wood, IMO. Comments good or bad always appreciated.

2007111774851_MescalGent3.jpg

2007111774922_MescalGent2.jpg

200711177501_MescalGent1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Originally posted by R2
<br />I don&lt;t have any idea what mescalbean is...[:)][:p][:)][:p]

Mescalbean is a shrub that is native to Central Texas. As far as I know, I discovered it for use in woodturning. It is usually too small to do anything with but I am a homebuilder and I was clearing a site for a new home and had to take some out with a bobcat. Of course I dug up roots and all and noticed that it had quite a nice root ball so I took it back to the shop. Once processed I noticed how wonderfull the wood is and have been using it and selling just a little of it for a few years now. More often than not, it has to be treated with my "Worthless Woodâ"¢" process since there is frequently many voids, dirt, and rocks that have to be removed/filled.

Kalai

Hi Curtis, great looking pen and the wood is nice too, when I saw the wood and the scientific name I said that is Hawaiian Mamani (Sophora chrysophylla), Mamani is very rare in Hawaii and it grows to a big tree, I have some pictures of the tree and the wood on my website koawoodhawaii.com , you will see it looks very much alike[:)] Aloha.

Chris
Kalai[:)]

Ron Mc

Looks good Curtis.
I made a pen yesterday with one of your Mescalbean root burl blanks with the voids filled with the gold Alumite.
I was shocked when I was done.
I'll go ahead and post some pics.

bitshird

I read your worthless wood tutorial, wish we had sopme worthless wood here in Tennessee
a friend is getting ready to fell qa Black Oak, maybe I'll find some treasure there,with my luck it will be worthless[:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom