Merlot Lucite & aluminum kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Except for the cigar clip and Private Reserve 9000 refill. I'm learning! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 386
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

In the words of my sons......

"Pretty feekin AWESOME!!!!!!". :eek: :biggrin:

You did a really nice job on that Chuck....

IPD_Mrs

WOW Chuck. That is a beauty. Since you are still learning and aren't totally pleased with it, feel free to box it up and send it my way. I'll keep it "warm" for you this winter.:rolleyes:

That's probably one of the most stunning uses I have seen of Lucite. You are making GIANT STRIDES and it shows ... regardless of the photos:wink:.

Love It!

Linda (who supposes she is now going to have start looking for a metal lathe :biggrin:)

IPD_Mr

Chuck, I am going to be honest with you, aside from the fact that I like it, the only thing I can see wrong is the refill protrudes past the nib a little too much. Check a kit nib and put a rollerball refill in it and see how much it sticks out. If I had to guess, your shoulder hole in the nib is about 1/16" of an inch too deep. I know I will probably get bashed for saying anything but if it was me I would want this kind of feedback. Once you send it my way I can tell you more about it. I will even make sure Linda only looks but never touches. :tongue::biggrin::tongue:

bluwolf

Nice work Chuck! I think I'm gonna start having you make my all my nibs. Looking forward to seeing it in person on Saturday.

glycerine

Yeah, that's pretty nice looking. Good job on that one. Did you do all of the threading with taps/dies or do you have a metal lathe?

bluwolf

Chuck, I am going to be honest with you, aside from the fact that I like it, the only thing I can see wrong is the refill protrudes past the nib a little too much. Check a kit nib and put a rollerball refill in it and see how much it sticks out. If I had to guess, your shoulder hole in the nib is about 1/16" of an inch too deep. I know I will probably get bashed for saying anything but if it was me I would want this kind of feedback. Once you send it my way I can tell you more about it. I will even make sure Linda only looks but never touches. :tongue::biggrin::tongue:

Chuck, Mike is right about this. There's an easy fix for it though. Make up a little donut spacer. Chuck up a little piece of aluminum rod, turn it down to the same diameter as the last, smallest shoulder of your refill, drill a hole in it that will slide over the tip of your cartridge and part it off a 1/16" thick or however thick it needs to be to draw that refill back in the pen to where it looks right. Slide it over the tip of the refill and stick it back in the pen.

I realize the best thing to do would be to remake the nib again. But the donut is just another excuse to play with your metal lathe. Then you can work on getting the next nib just right on your next pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great job Chuck... the alum and that merlot blank are a perfect match...
Thanks Rich, I agree with you. I think ALL of the Lucites go well with aluminum.

In the words of my sons......

"Pretty feekin AWESOME!!!!!!". :eek: :biggrin:

You did a really nice job on that Chuck....
LOL. thanks Lupe. I like your sons way of expressing themselves.:biggrin:

This is probably the most creative kitless i've seen
Thanks James, but, better look around. I have seen better. But, I'll take the compliment:biggrin:

WOW Chuck. That is a beauty. Since you are still learning and aren't totally pleased with it, feel free to box it up and send it my way. I'll keep it "warm" for you this winter.:rolleyes:

That's probably one of the most stunning uses I have seen of Lucite. You are making GIANT STRIDES and it shows ... regardless of the photos:wink:.

Love It!

Linda (who supposes she is now going to have start looking for a metal lathe :biggrin:)
Thank you Mrs. I'm glad I found this Lucite at IPD. Now go out and stand by the mailbox until it arrives:biggrin:

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your honesty. You are so CLOSE to nailing the problem, I'm going to give you an "A" anyway. The drilling was spot on. But, when I parted it off the stock, there was a chunk on the end that I had to file off. It became that much short in the process. Another lesson learned:wink: And, you can join the Mrs. by the mailbox :biggrin: Thanks for your comments. And YES, DO get a metal lathe.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone. That is an amazing pen.
Thanks Derek!

Yeah, that's pretty nice looking. Good job on that one. Did you do all of the threading with taps/dies or do you have a metal lathe?
Thank you! Yes, I cut all the threads with taps and dies. The cap is triple start threads. I do have a metal lathe but, all threads are cut with taps and dies.

Chuck, Mike is right about this. There's an easy fix for it though. Make up a little donut spacer. Chuck up a little piece of aluminum rod, turn it down to the same diameter as the last, smallest shoulder of your refill, drill a hole in it that will slide over the tip of your cartridge and part it off a 1/16" thick or however thick it needs to be to draw that refill back in the pen to where it looks right. Slide it over the tip of the refill and stick it back in the pen.

I realize the best thing to do would be to remake the nib again. But the donut is just another excuse to play with your metal lathe. Then you can work on getting the next nib just right on your next pen.
Thank you Mike. I had already thought of doing this but, I can't. Because, evrything is cut to length, there will be no room for a spacer without a gap showing in the center. It will just have to stick out a little. Next one should be better. Thank you for your help and, guidance in this fun process.:biggrin:

IPD_Mr

Hold on just a dog gone minute. Your kidding right? I went out to stand next to Mrs. at the mail box and it registered that we both can't get the same pen. I will sit here in the air conditioning and it will be our little secret. Wonder how long she is gonna stand out there. :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hold on just a dog gone minute. Your kidding right? I went out to stand next to Mrs. at the mail box and it registered that we both can't get the same pen. I will sit here in the air conditioning and it will be our little secret. Wonder how long she is gonna stand out there. :biggrin:
Mike, it would be just cruel, to leave her out there by herself in the heat. Take her a bottle of water and, a wet towel. That should make her more comfortable, while she's waiting :biggrin:

Chuck,
That's some hot stuiff right there. Looks like your putting the ML to use. Great job on the pen.
Thanks Cris! A little at a time. Don't look for any tutorials from ME!

Mapster

Sweet looking pen, cant wait to see it in person! The decorative lines in the nib and other aluminum pieces really make it fancy

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Sweet looking pen, cant wait to see it in person! The decorative lines in the nib and other aluminum pieces really make it fancy
Thanks Marshall. Got that idea from our mentor. :biggrin: See you Saturday with pen in hand :biggrin:

Marshall do you really think that Chuck will let it out of his hand so you can really see it? :eek:
I can trust Marshall with it. Besides.... he'll be within range:wink::biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

This coming from someone that has made one...mind you one semi kidless oops kit less------OK Bruce made the nib, now getting back to my world of experience so I can properly lead you in the right direction. Take the thing-a-ma-jig next time and place it over the what-ja-ma-call-it wearing one yellow and one red sock---Oh hell that's how I do a CA finish.:redface:
You done good, forget the nib sticking out to far just tell Mike that gave the pen perfect balance...:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This coming from someone that has made one...mind you one semi kidless oops kit less------OK Bruce made the nib, now getting back to my world of experience so I can properly lead you in the right direction. Take the thing-a-ma-jig next time and place it over the what-ja-ma-call-it wearing one yellow and one red sock---Oh hell that's how I do a CA finish.:redface:
You done good, forget the nib sticking out to far just tell Mike that gave the pen perfect balance...:wink:
:laugh: Roy, I was hoping I'd find a compliment in here and, I did. Thank you! It's ok what Mike says. I've got him and, his Mrs. standing by the mailbox waiting for this pen:biggrin::biggrin: I do appreciate your comment.

Wait a sec, is this a parker refill or a rollerball refill?
Hans, Private Reserve 9000M RollerBall refill from IPD

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow very nice pen.
Thanks Craig!

Wow, I dips me lid to you sir, you'll be applying for the Penmakers Guild next.

Awesome job, that metal lathe has got you revved up, well done.
Thank you Fred! Yes, I love this little lathe. I'm no longer watching from the sideline. I'm in the game but, far away from the guild I'm afraid. BTW, the I have the CD's

Except for the cigar clip and Private Reserve 9000 refill. I'm learning! Thanks for looking.

Hate to disagree but with work like this you are on the teaching end of the spectrum!

Very well done, both the finish and the design itself! Can't wait to see your next creation.
Thank you for the kind words George. Inspiration always helps motivate me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Top Bottom