In Memory of Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

These pens were made for my DIL and her siblings. Their dad has passed, not recently, but my DIL wanted something to remember him by and to give to her siblings. He had made himself a cane from some sapling he had found in the woods and he loved to watch peacocks during his walks so we decided that a pen made from the cane that incorporated something peacock wood be perfect. Here is the results.
IMG_3626b.jpg IMG_3632_1_3_Detail.jpg

As delivered.
IMG_3635.jpg

Nope, didn't use real feathers, this is a freebee after-all:wink:. I used some adhesive backed labels that pictured a peacock feather and cast them in Alumilite. Had to do three castings of four barrels each cast. The first one used the smaller labels on a black tube, I didn't like the look of the black, note the pen beside the labels.
IMG_3547.jpg

Cut each 4" label in half, trimmed the halves to 2+ inches then wrapped the results around a 7mm 10" tube and cast them in my new 10" PVC mold(see tools and jigs forum). When wrapping I made sure that the feather eye would be prominent on the blank. Trimmed any excess with some flush cut diagonal pliers. Rubbed the seam with the aluminum handle of my xacto(sp) knife. The rubbing darkened and flattened the paper edge and seem.
IMG_3546.jpg

All comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bpgoldo

JD, an artist and craftsman with a big heart is a gift to all who know him. I consider myself lucky to have just met you here. Welcome brother.

OZturner

Very Nice Pens, JD.
Thank you for your Explanations as to how and What you made the Blanks of.
Very Instructive.
A Beautiful Tribute.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom