Memories of First Driving Lessons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I first started learning to drive in an International Harvester pickup truck. It was a straight shift with a 3 speed on the column. The shifter was very temperamental and the linkage would get stuck if you did not shift it just right so we carried a hammer with us at all times. You would have to crawl under the truck and tap the linkage with the hammer when it got stuck. The passenger side door wouldn't open for some reason. I once went on a date with a girl that I was working hard to impress. Needless to say she was not impressed with my ride and never went out with me a second time. The truck was not exactly a chick magnet.

I could not pass up the new truck stamps when I saw that they featured a red International Harvester truck and I just had to make a pen using that stamp.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Today, If you still had that truck........she would be impresed.

Classic. Nice pen too.

Mine was a 68 chevy pickup. Burned out two cluches trying to learn.
Dad said "Forget it!" Went and bought an automatic.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Nice pen. Did the linkage get stuck during the date?

Nope, I had mastered the shifting by then. I think it was the passenger side door not opening. She must have thought it was not proper to slide across the seat or that it was somehow part of a plot to steal her virtue. Funny but I cannot remember her name and if given the choice to pick between her and truck today, I would take the truck bad shifter door and all.

mecompco

I love the pen, and that is a great looking truck. When I was a kid Dad had an IH Travelall that we did many family rides in, as well as a body-less IH pickup for a plow truck. I was a bit young to have driven them, though. Haven't thought about those for years, thanks for the memory.

FWIW, I learned to drive in a '69 VW Microbus--kinda wish I still had it.

Regards,
Michael

Charlie_W

Nice pen. Did the linkage get stuck during the date?

Nope, I had mastered the shifting by then. I think it was the passenger side door not opening. She must have thought it was not proper to slide across the seat or that it was somehow part of a plot to steal her virtue. Funny but I cannot remember her name and if given the choice to pick between her and truck today, I would take the truck bad shifter door and all.

Your wife will be glad it is the Truck!!!!

MDWine

Ah memories!

I had an IH pickup for about two years. I don't remember the year of the truck, but it was kinda old.

One of the guys in the VFD had it, I bought it from him when I joined.
The entire town knew that truck, and if the red light were blinkin', they'd swerve out of the way and wave as we drove by! Everyone called it "The Binder".

4 on the floor, 4 cylinder, and it was a bright yellow...

I sold it to a friend, who drove it for 6 or 8 years as well.

Great truck.

Top Bottom